Have you used mushroom compost? How was it?

Claremore, OK

All my friends rave about mushroom compost. I purchased a trailer load today in Oklahoma.
I don't think you have to age this stuff do you? I was just planning on mixing most of it into a compost pile I already have going about the same size.

What have you done with your mushroom compost? What kind of results did you get?

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

I bought a dump truck full of soil mixed with mushroom compost this spring and it has been wonderful, except for one thing--I gained a lot of weeds. Once I could get a handle on those, it has been fine. Someone told me that the mushroom compost was the reason for the weeds, but I'm not an expert on it, so I can't say for sure. I just know that I had a heck of a lot of weeds. No aging required.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, dd,

We had a load of 50/50 mushroom compost and topsoil delivered to creat new gardens this year and it seems to be fine. Some people like to lighten it up with sand, pea gravel, leaf mold or other amendments depending on what they are planting... The supplier told me they are getting a 'higher' quality mushroom compost now and they run it through a sieve now too. I think mushroom compost tends to be on the basic side, so you may want to do a soil test at some point...

I also had a load of mushroom compost (only) delivered last fall to put on our old flower beds. Seemed to make nice soil for growing flowers.

I didn't notice any extra weeds from that, but I do believe we picked up a lot of weeds from the mulch we had delivered later.

Just like everything for the garden, I think there is well made mushroom compost and then weedy stuff. It depends a lot on the suppliers' track record I think...

Good luck. t.

somewhere, PA

I've been using mushroom soil for a few years. I never have trouble with weeds.
It should be clear of weeds from my experience. I love digging it into my veggie
garden and all my flower beds. I think its great stuff. I did hear that they use
fungicides on it to kill off competitive fungus before using it but i'm not sure about
that.

tam

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Wow, I wonder what happened to mine then. Maybe the weeds came from the original topsoil before it was mixed with the mushroom compost.

somewhere, PA

Or maybe it sat too long around weeds? I bought some compost this year.
I almost turned it down when the one guy asked the other "did you turn under
all those weeds yet?" when I had ordered it. When I dug it in, I saw lots of
weed bits in it. I'll just have to hope its not too big of a problem next year. :-(

I spent a year in Ca. in the early '90's. They were having a horrible multi-year
drought. I passed an empty lot every day I went to work & back. Not a weed
nor blade of grass grew there all year. I just was so happy to get home to the
green of Pa! Weeds & all. (My apologies to Ca. people - there were lots of
other wonderful things about my year there but I guess I missed having my
hands in the dirt & seeing all the green hills of Pa.)

Tam

Claremore, OK

There must be some "major" variation in mushroom compost around the country. I got mine direct from the mushroom farm. You could see loads of deceased mushrooms in it. We unloaded it and I'm pretty sure there must be some horse manure in it.

You know you're a "redneck" when you can name various poop by odor. The flies were still interested in my pile of mushroom compost.
This stuff is far, far from being screened. I've even found what looks like little wads of straw or hay in it. I'll let you know what happens next spring.

I've done my own mixing of 50/50 with soil. I have a test patch of garlic some with mushroom compost and some without. I'll be curious to see if I can find a major difference in plant development.

somewhere, PA

Yeah - I live in the mushroom capital here in PA (or near it. Kennett Square, Pa
is supposed to be one of the biggest). The mushroom soil I get appears to have
been composted a bit more than yours. Clearly its from manure but no signs of
old straw or mushrooms! Never any weed seeds either. I had leftovers one year
and no sign of weeds the next year - took a few months to have seeds blow onto
it (and then I just pulled 'em and used the rest).

Tam

Winchester, VA(Zone 6b)

where would one purchase mushroom soil?

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

well, I get mine from the landscaping materials company by the truckload. It is pretty refined stuff.

If there is a mushroom grower near you you can get it from them. Probably cheaper.

If you live near a campbell's mushroom soup plant they say there are loads of mushroom growers nearby! (Like Pennsylvania)

You can google for landscaping/compost suppliers in your area, too, and call them.

Or by the bag, but you will pay more. 'Posey Powe'r is one brand name available here and it's awfully good stuff but $$$.

Claremore, OK

Mushroom compost by the bag costs about $9.00 around here.
I think the trailer load cost about $40.00. Of course, I don't know exactly how much we spent in gas hauling it back.

somewhere, PA

I live in mushroom country - a 9 cu yd delivery costs $85.

I am so greatful to live here! We also have Hershey's not too
far and can get coco hulls for mulch. (I have live a few miles from
a chocolate factory. The first few months I was here, I thought
my neighbor must really like brownies 'cause I kept smelling
chocolate. Then I found the factory. What a nice smell!)

Tam

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

darlindeb, the weeds could have been from what the mushrooms were grown in, Iknow the farmers use horse manure, wood shavings. bedding from racetracks, horsefarms. I've heard that the compost can have high salt content. hostajim1

Claremore, OK

Thanks hostajim1! Tammy you are so lucky to get coco hulls I am green with envy! Around this neck of the woods, you can get pecan shells.

somewhere, PA

I've never seen pecan shells for sale here! In each place on this earth,
we each have our treasures.
Tam

Claremore, OK

I noticed our local Wal*Mart offering a bag of "blended" Mushroom Compost for about $3.43.

Thornton, IL

Tammy,
I am posting this as a precaution to everyone out there who may not know better:
DO NOT USE COCOA HULL MULCH IF YOU HAVE A DOG, it is poisonous to dogs.

somewhere, PA

Thanks! I have heard that but I don't have dogs. Just cats and chickens.
Tam

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.