Purple hyacinth bean question

Endicott, NY

The seed pods-when do you cut them off? When they're still that pretty purple or are you supposed to wait till they dry out or something? Most are still purple, but the ones that aren't are like a moldy spotted dried thing? What will happen to them after we get some frosts? (zone 5) Want to make sure I get good seeds--they're so pretty. Thanks for your help.

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

When the pods turn brown. You might want to check those 'moldy, spotted, dried' pods out too. Sometimes the seed inside will be ok, check for seed hardness and discoloration.

Endicott, NY

Thanks!!

Southport, NC(Zone 7b)

I get the best looking seeds from the pods that have lost their color and look dead and dried out. If I pick the purple pods before they have a chance to dry on the plant the seed pods seem to get moldy and shrivel up along with their seeds.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

Frost does'nt seem to hurt them here. I usually have several volunteers show up on their own. I had better germination from seed I stored in the freezer; has anyone else observed this? Neal.

Union Grove, AL

Yes, I have much better germination that way, usually after the first killing frost I tear down the majority of the vine and thow it into the shed, a couple of weeks later i sort out the good looking beans from the unlikely and freeze the likely ones and throw the others out where i don't mind more but don't esp need then, i often get a few late starters form those. 2 years ago i had a compleate crop failure, non of them came up, freezer or outside so I'm puzzled over that one, it was an early frost and a late planting not many were mature enough and that could have been the problem, could well be something else though.

Western, PA(Zone 6a)

I store in the fridge, viability is higher in the ground than under lights.. Terrific vine for the side of chimneys and such.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.