Late October bloomersI'm surprised!

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

I'm a relatively new perennial gardener here in Zone 6a, and am trying to learn a lot in a little time--(so thanks to all the DGers for that, btw!)

One thing that surprised me is all the late fall bloom that is possible in this area--I planted these in late August when the nurseries were having big sales because of drought and heat, but mine seemed to have thrived for being baby plants and half dead when I got them, that is!

I think some of these are rather 'tender' for our climate, but I am going to try to overwinter them in a safe spot--under the deck or in the garage...

so I took a few pics of perennials blooming in my garden...

helenium and verbena bonarienses...

Thumbnail by tabasco

My gerbera did nothing all summer 'til now...

Thumbnail by tabasco

lantana, pansies and mums in my little back door pot garden...I suppose these will succumb to the frost, though...

Thumbnail by tabasco

The garage entry with verbena, lobelia, mum, honeysuckle, and other hummingbird plants...the hummingbirds loved this little garden in full bloom this summer...it was fun for us, too.

Thumbnail by tabasco

A gaillardia that I thought was dead when I bought it for a dollar...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And another from the bargain bin that is just coming out now...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And this hardy geranium 'Rozanne' is surprisingly perky this late in the season...I bought six of these (looked dead) at HD from the $1. bin a few weeks ago and they love their adoptive home, I think...knock on wood...I hope they make it through the winter with a little mulch. :-)

I planted them along with purpley pansies and allysum...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And more hellenium with lantana (that won't give up and is turning into something of a thug this late in the season)...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And finally the crabapple makes a little 'color echo' with the new gaillardias along with some purple salvia, speedwell and a butterfly bush (out of the picture, but all adopted fromt the HD 'bargain bin' but showing a some bloom now) in this new little garden...

Thumbnail by tabasco

And my October arrangement for our family room---(some bits from the garden and some 'faux fall' from the store!

Thumbnail by tabasco
Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Beautiful shots...thanks for sharing.

Sebastopol, CA(Zone 9a)

How wonderful everything looks, Tabasco! I love your garage entry garden, and I can't believe you got Rozanne for a buck. They're usually so expensive. The Gerbera looks especially fabulous. So vibrant!

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

T, lovely and so warm. I love your pitchers. very graceful way to display a collection. Guess what: my DH bought me Color Echoes, should arrive in the mail in about a week. so excited about it!

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

You have such brilliant taste tabasco. What a treat to have all those blooms this late in the season. I really enjoyed all your fab pics.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Very jealous here - just about everything is done blooming here. The gardens have pretty much all been put to bed for the fall. About all that's left in bloom is toad lily, anenome, sedum, russian sage, and some annuals that haven't died off yet. I'm on year 4 here on this garden, and I've resorted to noticing what's blooming when in the neighbors' gardens (we have 3 master gardeners in the area), and adding things to my list based on this. I did add more toad lilies and anenomes this year, and add some some asters.

I still have roses blooming. This is the latest that I can remember . Generally I have blooms that last into October, and maybe a straggling bud will open in late October or November, but I have a rosebush that has about 10 fresh blossoms on it. Hard to believe.
The asters are blooming, and I have some echinacea that's still blooming, but I put it in late. Some of the pelargoniums are still blooming, and the fuschias are hanging on.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

I love your garage entrance...wish MY garage was that beautiful! You have a wonderful place.

Thanks so much, everyone, for your kind words about my little makeover project! (Of course, you understand that the pics are closely cropped to leave out all the unsightly messes!)

I went out to look around this morning (in between raindrops) for evidence of more bloom and noticed I have five rose blossoms coming on too, and five purple bearded iris blooms on the verge, so I'm hoping the frost stays away and I can post those pics tomorrow...

In the meantime, fall color is creeping onto the front yard scene ...

Thumbnail by tabasco
Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

I have some deep purple miniature iris that bloom in the spring of course but each fall (right now) some of them will bloom again with rain and cooler fall temps. Often I will cut off several to put in a vase just before dark on a night we expect a frost. These typically spring blooming iris look funny beside Halloween decorations and pumpkins!

cuckoo

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

tabasco--I love your garden pics. I also have yellow/purple/red as my main colors. You have a lovely yard and a real talent for gardening. Also for bargain hunting. Good job all around.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi All, I've always been impressed by how this Malva 'Zebrina' can take the cold.
Actually it is at it's best in the fall, even after a light frost.
I've made fresh bouquets for Thanksgiving a few times.
Problem is, after you have had them in your garden, they pop up everywhere the next year. They have impressive tap roots that can make them hard to pull up. They don't seem to live long, but new seedlings come up throughout the growing season so the later ones can be very nice in October and November. Annuals around here.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Thornton, IL

Tabasco - Loved your pics! Thanks for sharing.

Prairiegirl and gardengram--thanks for you compliments on our yard project...I'm afraid, though, that last weekend was our last hurrah for sure. Rain and cold today 38 degrees and too cold to garden...sob.

Cuckoo---that is interesting about your iris blooming into October, even up to Halloween....I had no idea iris bloomed this late.

Sarahskeeper-- Your Malva blooming so late, especially in MA so far north, is really good to know about. With the Malva and the iris, I could have a very unusual purple garden (for these parts) in October. I will get some of those seeds for next year..

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

could you get another closer picture of your arrangement in your family room?

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

tabasco These dwarf miniature deep purple iris seem to be triggered to bloom again as our cooler fall nights and fall rains arrive. Not all of them bloom but a small percentage do. What a treat at Halloween time to go out and pick a handful of these iris to bring inside to enjoy! We are beginning to have killing frosts this week so they will soon be history until spring.

cuckoo

lev--sorry, my family room decor is history now...party is over and the fruit was put in the salad! It was basically a real and fake pine garland with real and fake fruits, pumpkins, and nuts and pinecones, etc. wired in...I do something like it every year... the candle was a maple scented candle but my DH said it 'smelled' so I had to get rid of that too! so much for my Martha Stewart moment!

cuckoo--I checked my little iris again and it is shivering out there but holding on...

nothing new at my house now...cold and rainy and I am glum. I did buy some half off hollies to 'topiary' for the holiday season...I'll get some before and after pics of those before too long...

Happy (virtual) gardening. t.

Since this thread is about late fall bloomers in Zone 6a, I wanted to add this link to Longwood Gardens (zone 6) October bloom list...they seem to have lots of possibilities for autumn bloom and I am going to make some notes for next year from this list...

http://www.longwoodgardens.org/Bloom/10October.htm

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

My continuing bloomers (not limited just to perennials) are:
Canna 'City of Portland'
Malva 'Zebrina'
Phlomis fruticosa
Rose (14 varieties in bloom as of yesterday, including 'Mel Hulse,' 'Bonica,' 'High Hopes,' 'Apricot Twist,' and 'Scentsational')
Persicaria 'Firetail'
Aster of all varieties
Chrysanthemum (one of which is just now opening, but I don't know its variety)
Buddleia davidii 'Black Knight'
Marigolds and Petunias of various types
Gerber daisies
Cosmos
Sedum 'Autumn Joy' (a new seedling that sprouted this year. The mature ones have long ago turned their rusty winter color.)
Miscanthus grasses
Callicarpa's spectacular purple color from the berries rather than blooms

edited to say, How could I forget my good ole, reliable Stella d'Oro daylilies?

But it's snowing like crazy this morning, so I don't know how much longer we'll be enjoying all these!

This message was edited Oct 25, 2005 8:37 AM

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

tabasco, that Longwood Gardens list is really extensive. Thanks!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Can't believe it is snowing in Virginia!

mickgene--Are you in western Virginia, near the mountains?

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Yes, I'm on the side of a mountain at a little over 1400 ft. It was quite a surprise since we haven't even come close to getting a frost warning yet!

It must be beautiful where you are. I'm jealous, snow and all.

We were setting heat records last week and then last night the temp went into the 30s, and will again tonight. If we are going to get any snow, it's December thru February. It's a big if, though. Some years we do and some years we don't.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

The fact that we get a real 4 seasons of different weather (most years) is why I don't leave. I love winter, although not usually in the middle of fall! LOL I'm still too busy enjoying the colors of the changing leaves and what's left of the garden flowers to want snow quite yet.

Piedmont, MO(Zone 6a)

Speaking of fall bloomers, look at this 'Mona Lavender' plectranthus. This picture was taken yesterday, after I cut back all the coleus, impatiens, etc that were killed by frost.

By the way, the fall blooming mini iris might be 'Eleanor Roosevelt'. I'll see if I can find a link, I think I posted a pic one year.
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/33210/index.html

Thumbnail by Toxicodendron

What a bright little spot of color.

Thanks everyone! I am learning a lot from all the comments and pics! It's so too bad that Autumn seems to be waning and winter chill (and snow for some!) is in the air!

But one bit of garden excitement here---my little purple iris is blooming today! I am very excited about her and she has about 10 more buds ready to come out if only the weather can co-operate!

Oh, the simple joys for the new gardener! LOL Now I have to go and clean more closets. How dull! t.

Thumbnail by tabasco

Gorgeous tree colors in the background. Gorgeous iris, too.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Which Iris is that?

lev, I don't really know....I don't think it's anything too special...seems to be a border bearded and it is very pretty, I think...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.