New Greenhouse in Kansas

(Linda) Winfield, KS(Zone 6a)

I have been dreaming for a year now and my dreams has finally came true. I ordered a 8.5 X 12.5 Rion from Sam's on 9/18 and received it on 9/26. The first week of Oct. my DH was in Louisiana on a fishing trip. So I had to wait for him to get home before we could do anything. But the day before he left for his trip we did get the base of it all put together and set it where I wanted it. I wanted it close to the house so the house could block the north wind. This is what was in my way. My strawberry bed had to be moved and 3 hardy hibiscus had to be dug up.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Here is the base together and laying in place.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Everything all laid out

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

My DH came home from Louisiana on Sat. and my friend and her husband and my BIL was here bright and early Sun. to help with the Greenhouse. I don't really think my DH had plans on putting it together on Sun. but needless to say he made plans.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Cement has been put around the base and the uprights installed in the base. Now we are putting the roof together. Now installing the panels.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Everything put together.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

A look at the inside with the dirt floor.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

I decided to use 1/2 inch. limestone for the floor. Made to trips to get it, but it only cost a little under $25, and is nice to walk on.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Next two pictures is the Greenhouse filled, I still have a few more plants to go in then I think it will be filled. The last 4 days we have had unreal weather, in the middle 80*, can you beleive that for the middle of Oct.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Without dear friends and a very sweet husband this dream would never have been possible.

Thumbnail by 2pugdogs

Now this Fri. we are planning on running electric and installing a light, and running a vent from the house to the GH for some back up heat if needed. I am still planning on using mainly a electric heater, but if the weather gets real bad can always use a little heat from the house. My DH told me I need to think about a generator in case our electric goes out. I suppose he has a point.

This message was edited Oct 18, 2005 10:10 PM

South Plainfield, NJ(Zone 6a)

2pug,

It looks awesome! Lucky girl!

cheryl

Springfield, OH(Zone 5b)

Wow.. I was waiting to post until you had all the pics up.. but I have been watching this.. too neat! I am so excited for you!!!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9a)

These pictures bring back memories of when my hubby put my Rion greenhouse together. You will love it!

Blessings,
Awanda

south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

Lookin good!!! Hmmm, you're heating it in zone 6???? kaching kaching - I wish I could!!

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

2PugDogs,
You have a beautiful greenhouse. Please color me that color with envy. It was very kind of your DH and friends to get it installed right away. I think you could rightfully say you are much loved. I wish you much joy and successful gardening in the future. Dotti

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

A really nice and professional looking job!

I really like the way you documented the process.

Gorgeous Variegated EE in that one shot.
Hmmmmmm.....no mention of locks or alarm systems.......did I say that out loud.........nah..........

Ric

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

love it love it!!! the plants are wonderful too! your really going to enjoy it! :)

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Great job! Definitely looks professional! How cold does it usually get down for you? Hey, Ric.....great minds think alike! I to noticed the lovely var. EE.
;) Donna

Got down to 0* last night. When I got up this morning the temperature gauge in the house said the GH was 41*. Having the vent ran from the house is really helping out, along with the electric heater. I don't think the heater could have done it by itself. I can't believe the temperature now is 5* and my GH is registering 88* that is with the sun out. It is 20* warmer in the GH then it is in the house.

My DH said if the GH makes it though this cold stage it will be alright. The newsman said this morning on TV Kansas hasn't had any temps. below 0* for a long time. I know part of the state was down to -12* last night.

Did I mention that I don't like this kind of weather.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

I wish I had your temps for the winter. Here it can get down to -40 celcius...now that's something to complain about. Usually January is our coldest month.
:) Donna

Bloomingdale, NY(Zone 4a)

>I wish I had your temps for the winter. Here it can get down to -40 celcius...now that's something to complain about. Usually January is our coldest month.

Same here Donna. That's exactly the coldest I've seen it in the 5 winters I've been in the Adirondacks. Just a coincidence, -40ºC. equals -40ºF.

-10º F. last night.

Wayne

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

It's going down to -16 celcius tonight but warmer on the weekend. We tend to get alot of windy days in winter so than the windchill factor makes it feel colder.

Mandeville, LA(Zone 9a)

I was looking at the greenhouse pictures because I WANT ONE and then this weather talk started...I am freezing my duff off here at 45 F. I cannot in my wildest dreams imagine 40 below.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

40 and Sunny here will be a nice change.
55 A shirtsleeve outing!

Now looking at a Winter storm after a 70 minute 20 minute drive home. lol

Ric

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

;P, Ric!

Here I am complaining about 0*, I sure don't want any of the -40*'s or even the -16*'s. I am a fair weather person. I agree with Ric the 40* and 50* weather is shirtsleeve outing for me as well. The weather man state we are having the coldest temps in 10 years. But the weekend is suppose to warm up.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Well if I hear you and Ric complaining about your weather anymore, I'm just going to have to come down and confiscate some of your plants especially the var. ear...lol.
;) Donna

Donna, come on down.

Donna, come on down. We have weather to share.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Hopefully one day I can get down there.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL!
Not complaining.
Anytime anyone at work complains I just open this page.

http://weather.ec.gc.ca/city/pages/mb-38_metric_e.html

That pretty pretty much shuts them up.

You're Welcome anytime :) Donna.
We can go hit an Ohio River floating bar.
It should be balmy for you.
I think we get above 40 tomorrow!
Though that is Fahrenheit not Celsius! lol

Ric

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Yep...show them that link for sure!

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

YOU HAVE MY EAR!! GIVE IT TO ME! :)

You did a great job! Is that greenhouse fun or what? I had a few pieces break when I moved and called and emailed Rosemary at STC (importer for Rion) and she got the pieces sent out to me. Unfortunately the box mailed from the warehouse went to my other house while the 2 from her came to this house. LOL How on earth?? So today I get to make the 2 hour round trip to do some stuff at the other house and get my pieces. Unfortunately most of my GH pieces are under 5" of snow. It's a conspiracy I tell ya! Now if I can just get the snow boots I ordered, I'd almost be happy!

I have to say, that greenhouse easily keeps the temps 20 degrees warmer than outside even if there is no good sunlight. I was able to keep it above 40 even on the coldest days with just a space heater. I really hope you enjoy it! You have done a beautiful job. :)

Thank you Badseed I am truly enjoying the greenhouse, it sure makes me worry at times. But so far it is doing a good job.

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Badseed, hope you can find the gh pieces that are under the snow. Too bad about the mixup.

I must go outside and feed my birds, Sun is coming over the mountains and the quail are everywhere waiting for me to put feed out. I feed more than 3 gals each day. Some wheat, some Chicken scratch, some wildbird feed. And they want more. I'm sure there are around 300 quail eating here every day, plus lots of House Finches, House sparrows, and 20 or so Goldfinches, and a few juncos and other birds. At just 7 degrees above zero I'm not too crazy to spend very much time outside.

DonnaS

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.