Perennial Vine Suggestions Needed

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Can anyone recommend a flowering perennial vine(s) to cover two sides of an arbor for the following conditions:
Zone 5, soil ph 6.5, sandy loam. The south side gets sun from 11:00 am on, the north side gets sun only filtered sun during the same time. The arbor has wire up the sides and over the top, total height 6 ft. There is a bench underneath and it faces west. The vines do not have to match on each side. The arbor is at the end of a 30' flagstone path and faces a 2000 gal koi pond. The shrubs and perennials that line the path are mostly sort of a Japanese theme, enkianthus, weeping pine, japanese maple, astilbes in the shaded areas, dwarf conifers etc. Is the soil to acid for clematis? It does test reliably at 6.5. Hydrangeas bloom nearly blue.

Presque Isle, MI(Zone 5a)

Trumpet vine may be a posibility. They are very hardy.

Gary

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've seen successful clematis here in areas that are typically acid (ridge areas with lots of oak, hemlock, and rhododendron). I would certainly give one a try. Another vive that comes to mind is akebia. It's leaves are lovely when it's not flowering, and seems like it may be a nice accent for the oriental theme. Sounds like a lovely garden, would love to see pics. Neal.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

The texas native coral honey suckle would work for you , it's evergreen here , I dont know in your zone..see plant files.....not invasive

Can you grow purple hyacinth bean vines there? they are lovely........if you can...... I have extra seed this year

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

I just realized you were asking for perennial vines, the hyacinth are annual and have to be seed started each spring......

Rosedale, WV(Zone 7b)

Why settle for just flowers?

How about blooming passion vine, nice flowers followed by small but tasty passionfruits?

Japanese lantern vine - flowers followed by fall lanterns?

Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

I have an arbor in slightly shadier conditions than yours and have had amazing luck with sweet autumn clematis, one planted on each side. I cut them back to about 15" every spring, and they cover the arbor by the end of June. The small white flowers in September are beautiful and have a wonderful scent. It stays green for about half the winter, then turns brown.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you all. Now I so many good ideas I will have to sort through them. I have grown sweet autumn clematis. The scent is heavenly! But the vine attracted so many bees that visitors were afraid to hang around that end of the garden. Thay dont bother me but I dont want them over my head when sitting in the arbor.

Thumbnail by snapple45
Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Wanted to send pictures of the garden you are all helping me with so much. I think on one side of the arbor I will try Golden Tiara Clematis. The other side is up for grabs at this point. A weeping white pine has been added since this was taken.

Thumbnail by snapple45
Dearborn, MI(Zone 5b)

It's really beautiful with all the different foliage colors, the pond and the hardscape.

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

"oooh"ing and "aaah"ing! That looks so restful.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

WOW! Beautiful.

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank You! View from the house.

Thumbnail by snapple45
somewhere, PA

wowzy wow wow! (simple "WOW" had already been used.)

That's a gorgeous area. If you do passionflower, keep in mind they
are very rambuncious vines! I've got one growing against my barn
and it sure it big & pops up in the grass several feet from its main
"trunk". It doesn't bloom a lot - I think it wants more sun that I'm giving
it - but the folliage is very pretty.

Tam

Bridgman, MI(Zone 5a)

How about Rosemore clematis? It's a very long summer bloomer and very popular.
Very velvety red.

Anne

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Climbing Hydrangea..or how about New Dawn Rose (and by the way your garden is fabulous!)

Syracuse, NY(Zone 5a)

I can support the golden tiara clematis.. got one last fall from Forestfarm in a tiny tube and planted it where it got more neglect than such a plant really deserved, it bloomed extremely well for me this year, and grew about.. well honestly I've seen clematis grow faster but it might have been conditions, and it did reach the top of a 5-foot fence by midsummer. I'm going to try to figure out cuttings but don't have any yet.. definitely worth finding though.

St. Louis, MO(Zone 5b)

Wow what a beautiful yard! I want one like that! (LOL)

I am a newb and don't know much but I bought a Coral Honeysuckle (Lonicera sempervirens) from Ecologe http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/2777 and it is thriving in my zone 5b clay soil, full hot sun half the day in summer. It bloomed one bloom and has grown several feet and sprouted many vines. Since it's now established, I hope to see move blooms (and hummers) next spring. ♥
Maureen ☺

Hannibal, NY(Zone 6a)

I think the leaves of Aristolochia durior would look beautiful in your beautiful setting.

Thornton, IL

Snapple :-O I love your garden, very nice job, what side of the arbor did you pick for the clematis? Wonder if you would try passion flower vine, it would complement colors of golden tiara, likes sandy soils.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

WOW! What a beautiful and restful place. I don't have any suggestions but am interested in those other folks have.

AuGres, MI(Zone 5b)

How about silver lace vine? It grows fast and is pretty carefree and hardy. I'm not sure if you can find any flowering vine that won't attract bees though. Your garden is beautiful!

Holland, OH(Zone 5b)

Thank you all so much for the compliments. This garden and pond took 4 years. We did all the work ourselves. Originally there was an above ground pool where the arbor is and a 20x40 vegetable garden where the pond is. I did the flagstone because my husband has a bad back. It took this 60yr old lady a long long time to get that stone down! But anyway I have decided on GoldenTiara clematis on the north side of the arbor and passion flower vine on the south side. Also I have another smaller garden with a fountain tucked away at the end of another flagstone path that runs north-south. I have a spot for a trellis there and I love the Rosemore clematis idea so I will try that there. I appreciate bees, but the sweet autumn clematis flowered profusely and drew them by the dozens. You couldn't get within ten feet of it. I am grateful for each and every suggestion. Happy gardening to all!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.