Wierdo trumpet vine, etc

(Zone 7b)

About 9 years ago, my husband came home with a rather sad-looking trumpet vine that he had purchased for me. This vine sat in its spot for the entire time we lived in Ucluelet, and did absolutely nothing, would grow about 6" each year, then die back in the winter. I dug it up and moved it when we came down here. It did nothing in a pot for the next two years. We bought this house, and I planted it at one end of an archway - it took off like crazy, and has been growing like a time-lapse movie ever since, but still no blooms! Anybody with anything to share on these?
This year, I planted an Akebia Quinata on one side of an arch, and Tropaeleum Tuberosa on the other - got lots of foliage growth from the first, but no blooms. From the perennial nasturtium vine, I got not much growth, and one teeny tiny bloom.
Am I expecting too much too soon? I know that with Clematis I've purchased mail-order, the first year they don't appear to do anything at all, just sit there, are these like that? Do I need to dig up the tuber of the Nasturtium vine, or can I leave it in over the winter?

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

WELCOME to Daves. Daylily2zeus. I am so glad you have joined us!!

You sound like you are so loyal to that trumpet vine!! I think I would have left it in Ucluelet. LOL. Or maybe you are just a kind and grateful wife. if my husband actually bought me plant, I think I would drop dead from shock. LOL

It almost sounds likeyou have too much nitrogen in your soil and it is stimulating the green growth. Do you fertilize them??

I have never heard of Akebia Quinata, Tropaeleum Tuberosa or even a perennial nasturtium vine. So I am probably not the best person to give you advice!

(Zone 7b)

Hi kell,
I did fertilise them, with an organic mix from our local gardening place here in town, other than that, nada.
You use the word "loyal" - I think "stubborn" or "pig-headed" might describe me better haha. I figured if it grew 6 inches every year, the roots were still alive, and eventually, it would do something!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.