I need help about Poppy

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Hi.. I would like to ask about how to grow Poppy. I have tried but no luck.. I live here in ZONE 8/9. I have tried to grow them for few years but no luck. They are pretty that I would like to have in my garden.
Tricia

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

Hi Tricia
Which poppy are you trying to grow? I believe the blue poppies will not survie in your zone. Opium poppies, Oriental opppies, just about all poppies need light to germinate, do not cover seeds. They do not transplant well.

I just started to grow them last year, this is all I know about poppies.

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm sure PoppySue can tell you more about poppies.

Durham, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

blue poppies should be ok as long as you keep them in the shade..

lil

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Since you are in a warm zone I'd suggest planting the annual poppies in late fall or winter. They like cool weather to get started. Perennial Oriental poppies can be started in cell-packs and transplanted to the garden any time. They probably won't bloom until the second season but they'll last many years.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

HI.. Thanks for the information.. I am going to try to find me some seeds to start. Thanks again...

Groton, CT

I don`t know the zones for Turkey and Italy but poppies grow all over the place,the opium and the corn poppy.If you want seeds of the red peony(opium)I have alot also the seed from the store will grow.They will be lavender.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.