Hurricane WILMA

Conroe, TX(Zone 9a)

All you Floridians, don't hesitate to get OUT! You don't want to fool around with thing, now being described as the strongest hurricane, EVER!!

I'm a ways away from you, but my door is always open to you. Seriously, dmail or call if you need directions. 936-520-1128.

Take care out there!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

How's my cruise lookin' for Saturday, folks?

My DD has already been on the phone berating me for not being on a plane by noon. I said, when Kat was going to NO, that if I ever saw a 175 monster coming, I would be history.......and here I sit. Flights now are only 244 to Chicago...can leave tomorrow.....but that would end the cruise for sure......AGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH.

Hap

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Foxnews was saying that there is an evacuation for all visitors/vacationers in the Florida Keys for today at noon. Good grief! You folks in Florida have got to be sick of this! Michelle

Kernersville, NC(Zone 7a)

Hap
1- book flight to Chicago
2- reschedule cruise
3- get out of Dodge!!

Rachel

I'm not believing this!

Pocola, OK(Zone 7a)

As fast as this one has upgraded to 175 mph, I wonder what it will be by the time it reaches Florida? Unless a miracle happens.........

Folks, please don't sit this one out. If you can get out now, now would be the time to beat the crowd.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Make sure who live in Florida don't wait best way to leave asap also don't forget bring important things is papers for insurance for home and other insurance policy etc.... to bring with you. Oh boy hate to see go through to Fla. not again. :0(
You all make sure have a safe !

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

When we went to bed last night a Cat 1....wake up this morning a Cat 5. Good grief this baby is quick!!! Enough already...and still over a month left in the season. :-(((((

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Man... A 90° turn?!? What an odd track. I'm glad it is going to weaken before it hits anyone. Please be careful!!!

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

As some of you already know that my son is a police officer for Pembroke Pines and as such we are allowed to live on school grounds to protect the school against vandalism and such. We live in a beautiful Palm Bay mobile home which we own and purchased from the previous police officer that lived here. We do not pay for utilities so it is a good deal and very private. The school grounds are ours to enjoy and it is wonderful. Now for the first time I am really worried as Wilma is projected directly at my beautiful home. Being a mobile home we must evacuate and of course we will. We have evacuated several times this year but this one really worries me as mobile homes don't hold up to cat 5 hurricanes. Of course we are heavily insured but it's not the same, if you know what I mean. I pray aries44(Flip) and his home and family will be safe as he lives about 20 miles south of me.

I'm praying for everyone down FL's way ... Tplant, Flip, Pati, all of you. Can't begin to name everyone. Y'all stay safe. Hope this one won't make it that far. ... Elaine

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Come on up Happy, I'll come get you from Chicago!

Who else needs a ride?

mg

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

TPlant....this is a mess.....I hope that the 11am update was correct in saying that by the time it hits here it will be down to ONLY a Cat 2.

Hap

I had a trip planned to Orlando. Leaving tomorrow and coming back either Sun. night or Mon. morning. It seems that I'll be going nowhere. This is the only vacation we were taking this year ARGHHHHH.
This baby better get downgraded or I'll hate to think of the aftermath......
I'm getting a bit worried now.

Valrico, FL(Zone 9b)

It'd really be nice if we could get the rain, without it being delivered at 175 mph.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

It looks like we might escape a Cat 5 if it weakens enough. At whatever Cat it hits the west coast of FL, it will be the same here because the state is so narrow and the storm will be moving so fast.

As I always say, the storm comes and goes......but the aftermath seems to last forever. UGGGG.

Anyway........Hang on Sloopy!
Pati

ONCE WILMA ENTERS THE SOUTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO UPPER-LEVEL CONDITIONS WILL NOT BE AS IDEAL AS THEY ARE NOW AND SOME WEAKENING IS EXPECTED...HOWEVER...IT APPEARS THAT WILMA WILL STILL BE A FORMIDABLE HURRICANE AS IT APPROACHES FLORIDA

NOAA

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

;-{

Here's a neat picture of Wilma in the Cayman islands. They have been warned of possible 20' waves, It's from the Caribbean Hurricane Network which is kinda' like the DG thread....one for each island. They are nice people and I don't think they would mind if I "borrow" a photo.
Pati

Thumbnail by patischell
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

trying to get a scale for my kids (we are studying hurricanes and weather this week!)/

what are those metal looking things... and the lines underneath, are they steps?

thx
tf

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

What's really worrisome is that there's nowhere to really go. East and west are out. Southern Florida is coming north and if the storm turns more northerly...well I'm sure you get my drift. The entire state is a potential target. We leave soon or we're pretty much stuck. I hear the north bound roads are already bogging down. Dh saw many RVs and trailers on the road yesterday and our techs are saying traffic is baaad today!

Pinellas Park, FL(Zone 9b)

I guess October Bike Fest in Daytona isn't such a good idea. LOL

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

yes Floridian, exactly what i was thinking, and trying ot say in the preparedness thread...

please read it for review, and i posted some info about shelters, a special needs phone number (anyone with medical or other speical conditions), and the fact that they will NOT accept pets!!!

hurry up and leave. my kids and i just prayed it will literally do a 180 and then dissipate exactly where it came from... but let's not any of you wait to see what this hurricane does. waiting is just too hazardous!

tf

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

My DD has been on the phone all am with me.....now my DS emails me from Rochester. he says he even put clean sheets on the bed......WOW .....I keep telling them that I am going on a cruise on Sat and won't be here.

Sounds good in theory..............The cruise part is for real, it's just an iffy if I get on it....

Hap

TF, I think to the right is a pier with steps leading down to the beach. The white object looks like the ususal trash that high tides bring in. They were going to post more pictures later this afternoon. I'll see if I can find some more that you can get a good perspective on. You sure couldn't have picked a better week to study hurricanes! LOL

Floridian, That's all to true about trying to evacuate Florida! We learned years ago to hunker down and ride it out. If the eye comes across my house (as predicted) that means you will get the "clean" side of the storm, the NW quadrant. Florida is where the old saying that the Weather Bureau always quotes started......."Hide from the wind, RUN from the water". If you
aren't affected by storm surge, just get a "safe room" ready.

Budgie, this is the biggest event of the year this weekend in Key West! Fun Fest. People had already started arriving, and now they have to head out. That's going to be even more people on the road.
Pati
Pati

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

so what is that broken thing in the middle?

TF, that's what I said looks like a piece of trash brought in on the high seas. I'll try to post some more, I just loved the way the wave was breaking in that one. Cayman is so flat that they get washed away pretty often.
Pati

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

The 5 pm says the pressure is still at 892. It may have weakened slightly, but keep your eyes peeled for this one please?
Dea

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

my heart is heavy for you folks, please be careful with this one.

As some of you know, LouisianaSweetPea (Jean) and her 3 kitties are living with me. She has been left homeless from Katrina. (her DH is trying to secure housing in another town) She and I were talking this afternoon about this hurricane season...so much loss, hard to comprehend and it is not over yet...*sigh*

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

every hurricane must be just a nightmare after you have been through one. i haven't "been" through any, but my heart is heavy for all of you two, this has been an esp tough year ;-(

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I just dont understand it. And they say that were in for another 20+ years?

My heart is heavy just watching the updates and trying not to relive the panic in the hours before Katrina. Up here on the hill, the wind whips and howls and every once in a while a big gust will slam in to the house. Its woken me up a time or two, and i am starting to believe that i am suffering from ptsd or something. Funny how things we dont remember can still affect you.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

there are some good threads/posts in Katrina and Helping Katrina Victims Forums for you.

Jen, I would be worried if you WERE'NT suffering from PTSD! It is normal after riding out a hurricane, and your life is just beginning to slow down so you can process things... just please tqake care of yourself... :-)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Man here we go again!

The only good thing about this is there is a major retreat for this one.
It looks like if your address ends in FL get on 75 and head NORTH.

Ric

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

everyone please listen to Ric!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

here is an ultimate source of hurricane preparedness and recovery info...

http://srwqis.tamu.edu/hurricane.aspx

tf

Mirpur (A.K), Pakistan(Zone 9b)

Just listened about WILMA in the news, Oh God........... please dont take our exams with such disasters, we all are your creature, your people, Please....please save all of us from such disasters.
They told this is category 5 hurrican and will hit FL, My all the prayers from my heart and soul are with you.
Kaleem

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

thank you kaleem. seems we need to take no-doz (caffeine pill) to keep up with all the disasters. we are pryaing too, not only that people will be spared, but that the hurricane will just disappear! aside from that i pray people's lives will somehow be improved, and nobody harmed...

we are still praying for your country, & for no more aftershocks...

if wilma is anything like Rita, strong winds and rain will reach far inland. My sister lost her home and she was well inland. they said it was down to cat2, but the winds were still strong enough to clear their two acres of red oaks and pine trees. when she has a garden again, it will be a sunny one!

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

here is another...

pati, you sleping, icing down the knees, or packing?

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Everyone please check out the current map. I don't know Florida geography wel, but my map compared with NOAA projection says the eye will go right over Miami/Fort Lauderdale area Sunday night after hitting the West Coast. It continues Hurricane strength on up the East coast (clean side?) through Monday.

worried,
tf

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Kaleem, How sweet of you, when the losses there are near 65,000 for your country. We are all going thru tough times right now.
Sidney

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well if I read it right the next 12 hours or so will set the tone.
Good luck to those in the Yucatan right now.
They are getting to see the whole force of Wilma.

Hap your window may JUST stay open long enough for the cruise.

Ric

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.