Hurricane WILMA

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Going out on a limb here folks......After reading and listening to the powers that be, it seems everybody is agreed that this will be a major hurricane within 96 hours. Soooooo, here we go!!
Pati

Here's NOAA where you can read it all for yourself http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/

And here's what she looks like in the 5 day projection:

Thumbnail by patischell
south of Grand Rapid, MI(Zone 5a)

hang onto your seats- another one...

Boy, do I HOPE I have egg on my face by jumping the gun and posting early on this one!! If it tracks due north, like they say, it could swing back into the west coast of FL like Charlie, or once it gets loose in the Gulf.....who knows!!
Pati

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

Oh no not another one!
This is awful will keep tuned into this thread and keep fingers crossed for good news
Good luck Pati thoughts are with you and all who may come in the path (hopefully it will take a new turn)
Anne

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

From what I read on the "Discussion" of this system, it looks likely to be headed straight up to Loiusiana. http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCDAT4+shtml/160843.shtml

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

NO! say it ain't SO!!!

Ahhh, Lisa... SOMETHING has got to get you to move!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

DIE WILMA..DIE!

Well, at the 11PM advisory it's still not quite a tropical storm, but it's also not yet in the Gulf where the waters are warm. The 5AM, or 8AM should tell more.

The Heart of Texas, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh No... not another one this late, I think I need a drink!lol
I just got everything back in place...

MsC

Here's the models this morning. Seems like nobody can agree on a path! The Navy projection has it going into the Gulf across Cancun.....go figure!
Pati

Thumbnail by patischell

Here's the 11 AM update:

THE DEVELOPMENT TREND THAT WE HAVE BEEN ANTICIPATING FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IS UNDERWAY.

DEEP CONVECTION IS BEING MAINTAINED VERY NEAR
AND SOUTH OF THE CIRCULATION CENTER...WITH BANDING FEATURES DEVELOPING NEAR THE CENTER IN THE SOUTHWEST QUADRANT.

ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24
HOURS...AND WILMA COULD BECOME A HURRICANE BY TOMORROW

Pati

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

uggghhhhhhhh :(

Phoenix, MD(Zone 7a)

OH NO!

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Looks like no one where in the gulf can rest easy fo a long while.

If we all take a deep breath and blow in her direction, maybe we can send her back to he__. The insurance companies say an act of God,
These come from he__. if you ask me.

I guess as busy as the storms have been this year, we will se development thru Nov. 30th. BAH HUMBUG!!

Blessings,
Sandy ^8^

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi Pati and all. Hope this one just fluctuates on out there with no warm water to feed it.
Sidney

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Dear Wilma: I don't see you. I don't hear you. You do not exist unless i believe you do. You don't. You can't go away cause you aren't even there, so SCAT!

:-(

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Ditto I will repeat after you Tamara

Dear Wilma: I don't see you. I don't hear you. You do not exist unless i believe you do. You don't. You can't go away cause you aren't even there, so SCAT!

:-(

Life use to be so simple. I want to be a kid again. Hey Badseed no labor pains with me....How about adopting me?

Pweeeeeezzzee?

It's a whole new ball game this morning folks! Here's the latest at 5AM from the NOAA discussion:

WILMA IS EXPECTED TO BECOME AN INTENSE HURRICANE IN THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA. THEREFORE...ALL INTERESTS IN WESTERN CUBA...THE YUCATAN PENINSULA...SOUTH FLORIDA AND THE FLORIDA KEYS SHOULD MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS HURRICANE DURING THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS.

Pati

And here's the new projection path!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by patischell

And it looks like the models seem to be in agreement. *sigh*
Hang on Sloopy!!!!
Pati

Thumbnail by patischell
Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

Pati, start hauling in icebergs. dont want another one comming.Feels like soon it will be just me, Baa and Philomel that will be posting on DG.
In Katherin check in list is that one dubbelchecked with the missing from Rita.
Janett

Well, she made hurricane status.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 75 MPH...120 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER GUSTS.

WILMA IS A CATEGORY ONE HURRICANE ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. ADDITIONAL STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...AND WILMA IS EXPECTED TO BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE DURING THE NEXT DAY OR TWO.

Pati

This message was edited Oct 18, 2005 11:02 AM

Here's the new 5 day forecast. They must be expecting a higher forward speed when she turns northeast.......looks like coming across FL Saturday and clearing into the Atlantic by Sunday morning.

I'm surprised the Keys aren't already on notice to start evacuation. It takes 72 hours to clear them out, and this is Tuesday.
Pati

Thumbnail by patischell
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

oh, dear.

she is just in reverse! SCAT, SCAT, SCAT!!!

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

I will be thinking about the folks in florida!!
After looking at the models, i cant help but wonder if shes going to be a double whammie one...hit florida and then circle back on herself and then hit another point in the gulf : (

Bloomingdale, OH(Zone 6a)

Shoo Shoo Shoo

You nasty ol hurripain! You stay away from my friends!

mg

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Do you have a gut feeling yet Pati? It sure would seem like they'd be starting for evac calls in the Keys if they thought it really was gonna happen !!

Spring Hill, FL(Zone 9a)

Glad to be STILL in NY. I LOVE NY in hurricane season!

My daughter attended the Emergency Operations meeting today representing the Red Cross. The final decision for our county was for a voluntary evacuation only. This would be for Hutchison Island, our very upscale barrier island, and all people in mobile homes. The Red Cross will open shelters to accomodate them. It is forecast to move very quickly west to east, so they are projecting the winds to be down to 75 to 85 MPH by the time it passes over us to the Atlantic.

Of course this is all just planing, and you know what Robert Burns said......."The best laid plans of mice and men....etc" *smile.

And what I say is....Hang on Sloopy!..LOL
Pati

Well, Frank is worried. Ue's alone in Jax with his little foxy dog Meggie, holding down the fort so to speak.
Sidney

Dea, it's really going to happen...just where is the question! LOL My daughter in Bartow, FL called this morning and we both had the same thought when we saw the projected path...Hurricane Charly. It's going to be bad if it hits in that area. They have hundreds of people still living in FEMA trailers that lost their homes in Charly, they will all have to evacuate.

Sugar, hope it passes Frank and Meggie by. If it goes north when it hits the Atlantic, it's going to bring more rain to New England and you. Stay dry!
Pati

Great!!
;)

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

She's just been upgraded to a Category 4 and is expected to be a 5 very soon. :(

Quoting:
TCDAT4
HURRICANE WILMA SPECIAL DISCUSSION NUMBER 15
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
1 AM EDT WED OCT 19 2005

THIS SPECIAL ADVISORY IS TO UPDATE THE INITIAL AND THE FORECAST
INTENSITY OF WILMA. AN AIR FORCE PLANE JUST MEASURED 162 KNOTS AT
850 MB AND A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF 901 MB IN A PINHOLE EYE. WILMA IS
NOW A VERY STRONG CATEGORY FOUR HURRICANE AND COULD BECOME A
CATEGORY FIVE TODAY. NO CHANGE IN TRACK IS NECESSARY.

FORECASTER AVILA

This message was edited Oct 18, 2005 11:26 PM

Looks like we now have a Cat 5! This is the 5AM update, and we may have broken another record with this one.....look at the pressure!!

UNOFFICIALLY...THE METEOROLOGIST ON BOARD THE PLANE RELAYED AN EXTRAPOLATED 881 MB PRESSURE AND MEASURED 884 MB WITH A DROPSONDE.

PROBABLY THE LOWEST MINIMUM PRESSURE EVER OBSERVED IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN AND IS FOLLOWED BY THE 888 MB MINIMUM PRESSURE ASSOCIATED WITH HURRICANE GILBERT IN 1988.

WILMA IS A CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE THAT IS MOVING OVER VERY WARM WATERS...TYPICAL OF THE NORTHWESTERN CARIBBEAN SEA...AND WITHIN AN ENVIRONMENT OF LIGHT SHEAR. HOWEVER...DESPITE THE FAVORABLE LARGE SCALE ENVIRONMENT...WILMA IS NEAR ITS MAXIMUM POTENTIAL INTENSITY AND FURTHER STRENGTHENING IS NOT ANTICIPATED

And the good news is..............

ONCE WILMA REACHES THE SOUTHEASTERN GULF OF MEXICO AND ENCOUNTERS THE WESTERLIES AND HIGH SHEAR ...WEAKENING SHOULD BEGIN.

Time to start moving plant containers!!!!
Pati

The models have finally agreed on it's path. Here's the latest:

Thumbnail by patischell
Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

Chilling!!
Anybody need to head up to ny? i have a spare bedroom and lots of stuff to stuff to unpack that could occupy us for days!!
All kidding aside, i am definatley out of the strike zone on this one and if anyone needs a place, feel free to contact me.
Jen

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

I really hope it slows down, WE DONT WANT YOU. smack that one away.
Janett

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Sure hope those shears will be nice and sharp and give Wilma a buzz cut !!!!

The pressure reading is unbelievable :(
Dea

Dillonvale, OH(Zone 6a)

got floor space and a futon in OH. Anyone welcome. Can't wait til this season is past :(

Janis

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.