When to divide LA iris?

Houston, TX(Zone 9b)

I am in Houston, TX, so "fall" has just started (meaning it will only be 90 degrees today, not 99). I put in a bunch of LA Iris last Spring. From what I understand, once the clump gets large, you can or should divide it. I haven't started digging yet because I wasn't sure if this was a good time of year and also because I am not entirely sure how to divide it. I have finally figured out how to divide daylilies, so is this anything like that?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

I'm quoting from a book I have on iris care......"Late summer and early fall seem to be the best seasons for renovating planting of Louisisana iris." I know that you have to keep them wet once you dig them up and that's about all I know about Louisiana's. I have 24 of them but haven't dug or divided them yet. I've been busy with my tall beardeds!
Hope it helps.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

sheila, my neighbor has a ton of yellow and violet LA iris (names unk.) and she divides any time she wants with zero consequence.

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Hey Voss, how are your iris's????!!!!!!!!!

Vancouver, WA(Zone 7a)

Here's a link to the LA Iris Society website. They have some good information there.

http://www.louisianas.org/

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

louise, everysingle one of them has put on a new leaf. they love richmond, TX!!!!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Yea, Voss, I am so glad, send pictures when they bloom!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.