Aspen in Southeast Georgia??

Rincon, GA(Zone 8a)

I planted some freesia bulbs last year and I started watching this thing grow, finally realizing it was NOT what I had planted. My husband said the leaves appeared to be an aspen tree.

It has an extended root system. The bark has some spotty parts on it that are an orangish/red. One of the "trees" sent out a feeler and wrapped the feeler around the fence (I guess to brace itself?).

I had three growing, but I pulled up the smallest to take photos of the root system and bark.

Any ideas on what this is? It's in my flower garden. If I need to pull it up, I need to do it before it gets any bigger. Thanks for your help!

Sheila

Thumbnail by Sheila965
Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

It does look a little like an out-of-place aspen -- or perhaps tallow-tree (Sapium sebiferum, recently renamed something else). The orange bark spots sound like a European white poplar, but the leaves aren't right for that.

Tallow-tree seems most likely down there in your neighborhood, but the leaves look a little too cordate in the photo. Watch the fall color -- tallow turns brilliant orange, while aspen turns mostly gold with little if any orange. Tallow is a beautiful but highly invasive weed.

Guy S.

Rincon, GA(Zone 8a)

Thanks, Guy! I'll keep my eye on the leaves.

What is funny is that I did look up Tallow while searching for an ID on this plant. I never could get a great photo to come up to compare the leaves.

Rincon, GA(Zone 8a)

I just found a photo that matches this perfectly. Guy, you are right. It is a Chinese Tallow. The tops of the way the plant is growing in this photo are exactly how mine looked when they began to grow.

Thanks so much!!

Sheila

Thumbnail by Sheila965
Savannah, GA(Zone 8b)

looks like a tallow. yes they can be pretty and also very invasive. heard it is illegal to plant them in some states. Also heard them called popcorn trees,.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Ahhh, Sheila965 .. hope you guys aren't too disappointed ...

I do believe that we're skirting the extended 'fringes' of Aspen growing territory .. here in NW Arkansas. We planted 10 Aspen trees about 9 years ago. We've got 4 that remain .. They're hangin' on, but I don't anticipate that they'll ever 'display' anything near to those that we've become so accustomed to feastin' our eyes upon .. when out west. Especially, in the Fall! Pretty sure these, will be content to go strait from green .. direct, to 'uuggh' brown. Something lackin' in the elevation modules, more so than temperatures, I'd suppose ... But, geezers .. does the new spring leaf growth deliver some awesome joy for the ol eyes and soul! ..

Now, if I can ever get 'em established jes good enuff .. that they start new shoots from the mother roots - I'll truly be in 'hawg' heaven!! .. lol ..

- Magpye

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Y'all down south might try bigtooth aspen. It's a lot tougher in heat and drought, and makes a very attractive tree. Here are some aspens (quaking, bigtooth, and European) at our arboretum.

Guy S.

Thumbnail by StarhillForest

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.