What's wrong with my wisteria?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

All of a sudden, most of the leaves on my Japanese wisteria shrivelled up. There's still one shoot that has nice green leaves, but all the others are dried up. I know they lose their leaves in the fall, but I didn't think they were supposed to shrivel up until after they fell off! Any ideas? I haven't done anything to it all year except water it once a week (and I've been doing that all summer, and did it all last summer as well and didn't have any problems).

Thumbnail by ecrane3
(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I have one that is doing the same thing. I cannot figure it out. I watered real well, thinking it needed water. It did try to come back a bit, but then started to die, again.

It is not new. It has been in the ground for two or three years, now, so figured it was settled in enough...

Maybe something is ruining the roots? Fungus??

I need to dig down and inspect the roots...it does seem really odd, though, since wisteria is SO hard to kill! lol...

I'll keep watching this thread to see if anyone comes up with something. I'd sure like to know what they are doing, too...

Sorry I cannot be more help!
-T

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Is the soil compacted around the roots? It looks as if its water supply has been cut off. I would dig around the root ball and see if the roots are constricted or wrapped around each other so badly that the feeder roots can't get the water they need.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Thanks Kay--I will check that out. I have clay soil in most of my yard so I wouldn't be surprised if it that's what happened.

Liz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.