What about seed pods

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have several seed pods on my Dats. and it is in the 40s will they still mature, and would they ripen if I took them off and just kept them in my sun room.

Corte Madera, CA

i hope they are still ok. i was worried about my biggest dat pod. luckily that plant is still potted. went with me to my folks in sunny san diego 2 weeks ago and i hope they grow and grow.

=)

Olathe, KS(Zone 6a)

My Datura Inoxia self seeds itself, going on it's 3rd year inna row. That leads me to believe these babies can freeze hard and still be viable. Oddly enough, the volunteers out performed the ones started indoors in late winter. They were literally twice the size and didn't get started nearly as soon. Go figure
JD

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

kareoke..... I think I'm in the same boat ... my seed pods still look green but the weather is quickly turning cold...... I think I'll pluck some and take my chances ......

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

vs. I went ahead and cut mine off as I didn't want them to drop where they are planted, there are always plenty more to get next year.

Texas/Okla central b, United States(Zone 7b)

sometimes you can cut the pod before it ripens.......lay it in a sunny window to dry out and it will pop open......if the seeds are white they are no good, but the tanned brown ones will usually genminate next spring

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

thanks jackieshar...... that's good info to know.... I'll harvest the pods and hope for a few brown ones.....

it is always best to ripen them on the vine.....but circumstances and weather don't always allow

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

I plucked some over the weekend..... even though the pod was still green some green pods had split and most had tan seeds inside..... so I'll go with your white seeds bad/ brown seeds good -- thanks for the info jackieshar

Corte Madera, CA

thanks for the info. some of the pods grow to a golf ball size and the one that ripened today was about a malt ball. it cracked open though, so i guess that's a good sign.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Good Question, Kareoke!

I have been wondering the same thing! I was really keeping my eye on my oldest seed pod as I had promised someone seeds from my double purple D. Metel.
Well, yesterday I went outside, and those darn earwigs had eaten all but 8 seeds in this pod! It must have popped open and i did not catch it in time. I have PILES of healthy, green pods on my 2 Daturas. I sure hope to get a bunch of seeds.

Here's what I may do. I might wrap some of the biggest ones in a piece of old stocking secured at the top. Wonder if the Earwigs will chew through the stocking???
What could I sprinkle inside of it to deter these critters???

What do you all think? Gita

I have been told by other datura growers that is the best way to collect the seed...............panty hose-like footies. I would not put anything inside, datura really dont like insecticides.....

Osage City, KS(Zone 5b)

panty hose-like footies..... sounds like a trip to the shoe store to do a little shopping..... Now can I use a new footie for each shoe I try ....? no sense in wasting them so I better take them home with my new pair of shoes to recycle...... ; - )

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.