the Good, the Bad, and the Crazed

(Zone 4b)

Well, it's been one year since panic has set in for good, and I thought I had it licked. And I did, until Tuesday - all day, panic panic panic. But, I went out and did my thing anyway, and got an amazing amount of stuff accomplished - I went to the grocery store (where I picked up the sweetest little mamm. cactus) AND to a committee meeting. It was tough, but I did it!! AND, I also went to a job interview yesterday, thinking that I was going to freak out and have a heart attack on the table. Not only did I not have a heart attack, but I got the job, too! Just wanted to brag a little :)

Does anyone else out there suffer from debilitating panic attacks? How are you coping with it?

Shelly

Knoxville, TN

hey,
I feel for you girl and maybe if your lucky they are gone by by for awhile.I have had them so bad in the past and my hubby and dd have had them too.Believe it or not the only thing that really got rid of them was a small dosage of Paxil.Good Luck on your Job!!!!!!I will keep you in my prayers

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 16th 6:06 PM

Highland, CA(Zone 9a)

my wife travels in her work,i hate it,the partys are killing me,haha.
anyway,she cant get on a plain,or in the back seat of a two door car without panic.shes had excelent results with xanax.

(Zone 4b)

Sis - do you have trouble leaving the house? That's what happened to me - it started with panic, and developped into intense agoraphobia. I have lots of little tricks to help. Maybe some of them can help you.

My biggest symptom is a feeling that I will pass out, so for a while I carried around a Magic Water Bottle, and then when I started to feel all spacey and dizzy, I had something on hand to drink. I also always carry my keys handy, so when I start to feel like I'm losing touch with the "real" world, I can scratch the palm of my hand, and it makes everything more corporeal. It brings me back to reality, instead of flying away like I'm going to lose consciousness.

Another symptom, and one which is very common in panic, is the feeling of hyperventilation and that you're having a heart attack. I've started doing breathing exercises - breath at a normal rate, but through your diaphragm, not the lungs. It really chills you out, and balances the levels of carbon dioxide / oxygen in your blood (which is also what can lead to the flighty spacey feeling).

All of these things - the water bottle, the keys, and the breathing, can be done with minimal attention to you. They're all very normal. I often have panic attacks without anybody knowing, and am usually able to bring them under control without making myself look like a crazed lunatic :)

I hope that these can help you. I have alot of info on panic and agoraphobia if you want to contact me. Don't let anyone tell you that it's something you just have to learn to live with (can't count the number of people who've told me that). It's a load of doodle. It can be conquered.

Best o' luck to ya!
Shelly

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 16th 6:07 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8a)

I had one major attack out of the blue one time. I really thought I couldn't breath and I was so scared that I called my mom (me, a thirty-something year old at the time!) She carted me off to the emergency room where they assured me that I was getting plenty of oxygen and sent me home with tranqualizers. I can't imagine going through that kind of an attack on a regular basis. Kudos to you Shelly for going to that job interview and then landing the job too!

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 16th 6:09 PM

(Zone 4b)

There are more things in heaven and earth.... :)

This message was edited Thursday, Aug 16th 6:09 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.