2 new Hydrangeas

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Does anyone grow 'Waterfall'? What a beauty, saw this at a nursery today!

Thumbnail by violabird
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

Also another one of which I forgot the name--help?
It's an Oak-Leaf with beautiful fall color and an extremely full head of flowers like I've never seen in one (she had a photo of it in bloom).

Edited to add this one is called 'Harmony"

This message was edited Oct 11, 2005 12:48 PM

Thumbnail by violabird
Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

violabird, We saw 'Fuji Waterfall' blooming last year at JC Raulston Arboretum in Raleigh, NC - a real beauty - pic below. We took a tour with Michael Dirr and although it was beautiful he wasn't too enthused with the plant - something about its form and the foliage not holding up well in the heat and humidity of the south.

Thumbnail by rcn48
Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

rcn, a tour with Dirr! What a lucky gal! Would you please add that pic and info to PlantFiles? My pic is in line to be added.

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

Done! Violabird, after our trip to JC Raulston Arboretum last fall, we traveled to Georgia to the Center for Applied Nursery Research and listened to a number of speakers presenting all the information on the research they do there especially with Abelias and Hydrangeas. Michael Dirr was speaking on all the new Buddleias he was working on looking for mite resistance.This year we're going back to see all the breeding they've been doing on Viburnums and more!

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

I take it you have a nursery?

I see tat place is near Augusta, not close to my favorite nursery. The owner there does know and work with many of the field experts, he's always showing us the latest plants and citing Dirr. Next time we need to bring a tape recorder or video cam for his running commentary on everything!

Lexington, VA(Zone 6a)

violabird, yes we have a nursery - Rick's been in the business since 1981 but I didn't join him until 1999 and been having a ball ever since! I already checked out your favorite nursery to see if we could include it on our trip south but it is too far away for this trip :( You're so fortunate to have someone who will spend the time with you while you're at the nursery - unfortunately in this day and age that is all too rare. We used to be wholesale only, but 4 years ago Rick had back surgery and we decided to start selling direct to our customers at plant sales all over the state in the spring and fall - a sort of 'traveling' nursery, and we're having alot more fun although we're not getting rich! We are hoping to get our real website up and running this winter and tackle mail order and will list with Plant Scout when we do.

Barnesville, GA(Zone 8a)

What a novel idea, I've never seen plant sales offered around here where different vendors could bring their plants except at the big Home and Garden type shows.

Good luck to you both!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.