How do I "wet" superdry compost?

Napa, CA(Zone 9a)

I bought 40 yards of compost made from green waste from restaurants and grocery stores mixed with collected yard waste. It was composted for 2 years by a local waste company. It is SO SO dry that the water rolls right off and is WAY too hard to use in our nursery operation. I am considering using a soap or a purchased "spreader sticker" as a surfactant. How will affect the soil adversly? We are a natural nursery selling native trees but are not labled or certified so that is not an issue. We are mixing 3 parts compost to 1 part native soil in our mix. We use hydrolized fish and mychorrizae but usually nothing else.
Can anyone help us with this runoff problem. Also, the compost has a large amount of fungus spores but it doesn't seem to be a problem unless it is what is making it so so dry, dusty and unable to soak the water in no matter what technique we are using. We have tried many attempts. The mixed soil or the straight compost repells water instead of letting it soak in. It doesn't rain here until winter so even the air is dry and this may contribute to the dryness.
Thanks to all.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

What a problem you have. I can only suggest that you put small amounts into containers of water and leave it there until some soaking up does take effect. Maybe if you can mix it with peat or those poly crystals they will pick up the moisture and slowly but surely release it into the compost. It does sound like something that will take a LONG time to get done.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.