Stepping stones

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

GeeMan
This is a picture of some stepping stones that I have made. I have constructed about ninety of these. They have an octagonal shape and are 24" wide. There are smaller ones in between that are about 8 x 10 " This makes the center of the large ones about one normal step. The mold was constructed onto 3/4" plywood. The sides are 2 1/2" high and have cove molding at the lower edge. The cove molding produces a decorative edge on the stepping stones. When I pour the concrete into the mold I insert 6 pieces of 1/8" diameter wire for reinforcement and to prevent cracking. Some that I have made are about 3 years old and none of them have cracked. The rectangular ones use a simple mold and those are also 2 1/2" thick. I have an insert in the center of the large mold that is 12" in diameter and 1 1 /4" thick. When the stepping stone is removed from the mold it has a 12" recess in the center. I then cement a 11" diameter decorative insert into the larger one. I also make the round ones and have molds for four different leaf patterns. With one mold it is a slow process. One large stepping stone can be made every other day.

Thumbnail by Rocco
This thread has 39 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!