black eyed susan vine?

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

I saw this at a hoity-toity garden center a few years ago but it is an annual and I wasn't about to pay ~$50. I don't have experience growing anything from seeds, but I'd like to try this one. Advice? Thanks!
Carrie

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I have been told once you get this started in your yard you will never be able to get rid of it... not for me but I love the way it looks. Somewhere this spring there was a great thread on this one will tyr to find it. Also look in the plant files it will give you a great idea about how the plant does in your area.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

I would NEVER pay $50 for an annual that I could grow easily from seed! Glad you passed! lol...

They are easy from seed, and die at frost. They are easy to please, too. They'll take sun, but will also bloom in part sun/shade. They'll climb, but they'll also trail. I seem to like them best trailing over the edges of a hanging basket.

There are several colors, and they are all pretty and cheerful. I grow them every year...

The creamy one with a black eye is my favorite, although I recently got the 'apricot smoothie' and the 'raspberry smoothie', and think I'm pretty fond of those colors, already, too...

I say go for it! Pre-soak the seeds and sow to a depth of twice the width of the seed. In a warm environment, they'll germinate within a week or two...
-T

Denton, TX(Zone 7a)

$50.00! I am proud of you, not getting that..it is a wonderful vine, and so easy to grow from seed....

Divernon, IL(Zone 5b)

I think the white flowered one is really cool.

Thumbnail by jmorth
Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

The yellow with a black center is growing wild everywhere in my beds. They come back more and more every year and climb on every plant near them.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

And they cover them!! I have one in my yard that is really traveling. I will have to cut it off. Then sufffer having dying vine mixed in all my trees for a long while. I hate that look. It up way too high and over too many plants to get it out.

But I did enjoy a great show all summer long. It blooms here year round.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

I started them from seed this spring and I agree that they are very easy and love to grow with every other vine I have.

I have the new colors,apricot and raspberry.The apricot is blooming with my climbing Don Juan rose and the raspberry is intertwined with the corkscrew vine.As for volunteers,I doubt it.Our hear and humidity are just too high for most of them except the weeds.

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

If you have a Lowes or Home Depot in your area you might want to check there in the Spring if you don't want to attempt seeds. I have not had a problem with them being invasive, but then I have mine in large pots. They are evergreen here, one pot is going on its 4th year.

Milton, MA(Zone 6a)

Gosh, thanks, campers! I will check my Lowe's & HD next spring. Maybe the pot and trellis accounted for the other $49, tee-hee-hee. Where is a good place to buy seeds? I doubt if in New England they will become invasive. I think dandelions and crabgrass have bought up all the rights! LOL. I'm lucky if white alyssum self-seeds!
Thanks,
Carrie

Stockton, CA(Zone 9a)

Carrie,
you can get seeds for Thunbergia Alata at several places.

http://www.selectseeds.com/cgi-bin/htmlos.cgi/0296.1.1116744022075212298

http://www.parkseed.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10101&catalogId=10101&langId=-1&SearchText=thunbergia+alata&mainPage=textsearchresults&RequestType=NewRequest

http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1285

Those are some places that I use & have been happy with. I am sure there are many other places that carry them too. Good luck!
Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.