Hurricane Rita and my old pine trees

Lake Charles, LA

Hurricane Rita blew our old pine trees away. (our house was not touched!) They were not favorites but did give shade to the back yard. The trees were located in the south west corner of the yard (I.'m in the deep south zone 9) What shade tree would you plant in their place?

Thumbnail by ssdogwood
Lake Charles, LA

I forgot to add that my newly planted River Birch trees are leaning terribly. The yard is a mess but the surviving trees have new buds so hopefully they will leaf out. Our two year old River Birch trees are leaning alarming. any tips on how to straighten them ?
thanks in advance
ssdogwood

Thumbnail by ssdogwood
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

ouch! those leaning trees remind me of "widow makers"!

did you know there is a group helping in your area called friend-ships? t hey have a ship in a nearby port. maybe they could help with hose trees?

nice pics, though sad ;-(

tf

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Just prop the river birch back up, even if it takes a front-end loader to right them, and then stake them for a few months.

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Don't know if they grow in your area,but I love China Berry trees....they're messy,but give alot of shade

Invasive Species: Chinaberry Tree
http://www.bullcreek.net/chinaberry.html

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

thnks Darius, you sure know your trees!

LOL, tf, I SURE wish I knew more, and that I could identify more than a few hardwoods by sight.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.