Ripped Tap Roots

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

I just recieved an order for bareroot trees from a place on EBay (I know hard when they are such good priced to say hey these guys rip people off all the time) So I get the four trees in and ummmm three of the tap roots ar sliced right in half - Mimosa, Sasafrass, and Sycamore... the last the Mock Orange is great and the roots look like they are all there. There are no leaves at all on any of them but I did the green test and yes all four are green. What do I need to do for these trees to give them a chance? Will they make it? Dont worry bad feedback will follow on EBay but just wanted to seewhat if anything I could do to keep my new trees alive... Mitch

La Grange, TX(Zone 8b)

When I've gotten trees that I was not sure would make it in the ground, I've potted in 5 or 1 gallon containers, depending on the size of the tree seedling, for a few months. You can usually get the pots for free from your local nursery. Don't fertilize or you will encourage top growth. Right now you just want root growth. I've heard people have good results using SuperThrive. It's not a fertilizer, but supposedly helps root formation.

Potted plants will have to be overwintered in a frost free area or indoors. I'm in a warmer area than you, but last year I placed the dwarf apple trees I have growing in pots in a protected spot under the eeves on the south side of the house and covered the pots with old towels and blankets.

I recently purchased 3 persimmon trees from a reputable mail order nursery. They weren't packed well and arrived broken and or defoliated with a good deal of the soil missing. They were replaced, but I'm going to pot the damaged ones to see if I can salvage those.

Veronica

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

Thanks Veronica - just one of those, yikes what did I get myself into now moments.... Will get them potted and in the house ASAP! Thanks - Mitch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.