Persian Shields - The Best Plant We Ever Grew!

Merrimack, NH

If We ever get results like we got from the Persian Shields we grew this year (especially the one at the very front of of our yard) I will die a happy gardener!
This beautiful plant has thrived at the front of our south facing yard. It actually has gotten bigger (huge,really)
in the last few weeks! It may be too big to dig up!
Please - If anyone has overwintered this plant, we need tips.
All four of our Persian Shields have been impressive, but I'd give anything to save this one!!!

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I have tried to make cuttintg of this beauty but to no avail. I used the "in water" method. Maybe they need the root hormone and damp soil....Good luck....I agree they are beautiful, I hope mine lasts a while.....

Hap

Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

This one definitely makes my list of must haves, such a beautiful plant ! Strange, I found the cuttings root almost instantly in water. I did have the cuttings in a very, very warm room (90 degrees give or take), maybe that's the difference. Since I have no greenhouse I turned our spare bedroom into one... I have a 1000w HPS light in there and it heats things up! I also just stick the cuttings in soil and they root pretty quickly but it can be a finicky plant to overwinter in a dry climate like mine, it likes humidity. If you're going to overwinter as a houseplant I would say give it really good light and humidity- By spring mine are always pretty pitiful looking but it does bounce back quickly once I get it outside.

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

That's wonderful....glad you had such good luck....

Hap

I don't want any more because my plant it about 6'wide and 3'tall....

Provo, UT(Zone 5b)

Mine never achieve such size here ,they are always just starting to do great as nasty old winter hits. BTW - I almost printed a picture of your huge coleus to show mine, thought it might inspire them ! But then I reconsidered , did I want to be the parent always comparing to one sibling to the other ? - besides they would probably just roll their eyes at me and pout more. :)

Chicago, IL(Zone 5b)

I glad you didn't PM.....the coleus are so sensitive; they take everything to heart.....The worst thing I have ever seen is a pouting coleus..

Hap

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.