Now I understand why it is called Unicorn Plant

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

I kept looking at the flowers thinking it doesnt look like a unicorn. I got my first seed pod. Now I understand. Here is the flower.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

And here is the seed pod.

Thumbnail by rylaff
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

HMMMM, you've been sniffing the anesthetic again, haven't you?! I don't see any unicorn, but then again, my imagination leaves alot to be desired. LOL

FYI, that seed pod, when it dries, will puncture like a needle, so don't step on it!

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Ahh, that could be. Anyhow, I think the seedpod looks like a unicorns horn. Doesnt it? Maybe it is these new lens they put in to replace my cataracts.

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Looks like a unicorn to me.

By the way Rylaff I changed my opinion about the encore azelias.This year they put on a fantastic show starting almost a month ago and are still blooming.

I guess it's like everything else.It just takes time.

Winchester, KY(Zone 6a)

I've heard them called 'Devil's Claw'. When the seed pod dries and opens you'll see why! Be careful when you clean up beds in the fall; the dried pods are sharp and latch on to your shoes, clothing, and ankles. Cool seed dispersing method-I guess animals carry the pods dropping seed here and there. Cool plant. Neal.

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Thanks for the warning! I shall be cautious.
I was pleased with my encore azaleas. They put on three shows this year. One plant bloomed almost continuously and at this time, still has a few blooms on it.

Tulsa, OK(Zone 7a)

lovely flower neat seed pod to.. good pictures...

Twyla

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.