What Native Plants Are Blooming By You Now?

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Would love to hear what native plants are in bloom in different parts of the country.

Here in Virginia I'm finding lavender Hardy Ageratum, Goldenrod, deep purple Ironweed, lovely native Asters in shades ranging from white to deep lavender, as well as a few straggling Black-Eyed Susans, & Queen Anne's Lace - although those 2 pretty much start disappearing by late August. And then, of course, there are all the berries - the purplish/black Pokeweed, rusty red Sumac, blue/gray junipers, deep blue Fox Grapes.

I have to say that while I do adore spring, the fall native plant show does have it's place.

So what's cooking by you?

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

lots of asters, the last of the goldenrod, ironweed, cardinal flower, the bottled gentian are pretty much gone now

Cleveland, OH

Lady's Tresses orchids and fringed gentians are peak now. Asters, several of the beggars ticks are also still going.

I keep expecting to see summer flowers again! We've had 80-85 degree temps the last few days with high humidity...feels like August, but by the weekend highs only in the 50s.

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Same weather here - odd, eh? Do you ever get seed from your gentian?

Wauconda, IL

Asters, goldenrod and bottle gentian. It's quite a colourful time of year!

Thornton, IL

Breezy - I love ageratum! That's a native flower in Virginia?? Wow, lucky ducky you. We are blessed with beautiful grasses, including my little bluestem, which is the most gorgeous shade of pink now.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

Yes - there is a hardy perennial Ageratum that is a wildflower here. Looks exactly like the "domesticated" annual flowerwise, but grows on a longer stem. Not only looks lovely in the fields, but is equally lovely as an addition to indoor bouquets.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.