Bulb Sale Report

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 2b)

Thank goodness our bulb sale is over. Held Oct 1 & 2 with good weather (now watching snow falling!!).

We sold around 5K bulbs, including some wonderful newly registered ones. My Fave is Dark Moon, a very very dark asiatic which was just registered in the last couple of weeks. Yum. Can't wait till I see it in bloom.

Had quite a few prairie hybridized lilies as well as some of the new Tangos from Latvia. So --watch out for them at your bulb sales.

A couple of weeks ago we had a digging/washing party, as well as soaking in Javex (chlorox) to be sure no baddies passed on. This was a lovely day. Imagine row after row of lilies, as far as you can see.

Then came bagging most of them.

On Friday we bagged the rest and set up.

We have an area we call 'bulk' sales where we have no name bulbs and handfuls of named and mixed bulblets sold for a dollar or two. Do any of your clubs do this? We find this is a very popular area, particularly for people who want colour but don't care about names.

This summer we hosted NALS and now the bulb sale almost finished, am glad winter is settling in. Never thought I would feel glad that outdoor gardening is more or less over for us in the north.

Inanda

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

Wow...brand new lilies. Lucky duck!

You've had a very busy year ~ glad you're getting a little break now.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Hi, inanda--

Can't believe you're happy winter is settling in?!! You must have worked REALLY hard on the bulb sale and the NALS meeting!

I suppose one way to look at it is the sooner winter comes and goes you will see your new beautiful lilies come into bloom!

Congratulations to you for sharing all that lily beauty with other gardeners by organizing the sale. I love lilies, but always thought they were impossible to grow until I joined DG and read the Lily threads. Wish I could get to the Ohio Lily Society sale this year and buy more!

Happy hibernating (for now)! t.

Randolph, MA(Zone 5a)

Is it too early to put my lilies on the ground? I have 30 each of
Lollypop Asiatic, regale album - trumpet lily, orange star tiger lily, stargazer oriental lily -and others. They start to bloom early to late summer - i figure that I can put themon the ground in March or April of next year - will it be too late? Do I put them on the ground now - thanks

Centerville, UT(Zone 6a)

The planting instructions I recently received with bulbs from The Lily Nook said that lily bulbs are never completely dormant and must be planted as soon as possible. If you can't do so, keep them refrigerated until you can by storing them in a poly bag in slightly damp peat moss in the crisper of the fridge.

I seen a lot of them on the store shelves for a long time so I imagine they must manage to survive, but I would rather have a happier bulb.

Lincoln, NE(Zone 5b)

rosemallow ~ you definitely want to plant them now, at your earliest convenience. Until then, store in the fridge as described above.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.