Threatened and Endangered species Recovery Act

Cleveland, OH

Our local radio station has been advertising that there is a bill to HELP threatened and endangered species recover. It's called the Threatened and Endangered species Recovery Act - TESRA - Here's a link to the web site that has been advertised on the radio here.

http://www.saveourspeciesalliance.org/

I thought since only one local station is advertising I'd spread the word across Dave's garden to rally support!

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

hmmmm...interesting to say the least. Looking at the list of supporters raises a big red flag. Many are those who have historically claimed to be "burdened" by the ESA....forestry, agriculture, petroleum, mining, water districts, realtors, homebuilders, off road businesses and utilitiy interests, to name a few.
While I agree that the ESA has some flaws and has at times been used to list species inappropriately, not sure yet that this is for the best either.
I'll definately have to read the legislation before rallying support.

Cleveland, OH

Apologies all! I should have known. After reading back over the site I decided to attempt to read the actual legislation. Looks like we may as well scrap the Endangered Species Act.

It is all VERY misleading, and I fell for it without doing my homework!

I was duped, sorry!

Here's a link to the actual legislation: http://resourcescommittee.house.gov/issues/more/esa/TESRA/hr3824.pdf

Woodland Park, CO(Zone 4b)

Thanks for posting the link, bogman.
Don't apologize. Sometimes hard to ferret out where the "group" is coming from with
all those environmental sounding names floating around!!
A good lesson for all of us.

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

I just found this thread. Thanks for both links. I've found out that everytime I read something that professes to use "common sense", that's the last thing that it uses. :-(

Cincinnati, OH

`(b) Development of Recovery Plans- (1) Subject to paragraphs (2) and (3), the Secretary, in developing recovery plans, shall, to the maximum extent practicable, give priority to those endangered species or threatened species, WITHOUT REGARD TO TAXONOMIC CLASSIFICATION, that are most likely to benefit from such plans, particularly those species that are, or may be, in conflict with construction or other development projects or other forms of economic activity.

`(E) Estimates of time and costs pursuant to subparagraph (A)(iii), and identification of the least costly alternatives pursuant to subparagraph (D)(ii), are NOT REQUIRED TO BE BASED ON the best available SCIENTIFIC DATA.

Isn't this a Nazi law? Didn't Walker, Bush and Thyssen create the Nazi party? Weren't Walker-Bush Oil, and Union Banking seized as 'assets of the enemy' in 1942?

careful please

Wauconda, IL

UUallace...

HUH?

Cincinnati, OH

The government can arbitrarily decide what is endanged and what isn't. It doesn't have to be a scientifically recognized species or sub-species or variation. Essentialy there will be the strictest enforcement for you and I, and will ignore it for the public corporations (called trusts, when voting and stock ownership was limited to humans).

http://nhgazette.com/cgi-bin/NHGstore.cgi?user_action=detail&catalogno=NN_Bush_Nazi_Link

www.duei.de/de/content/institut/pdf/tb02_5_iik.pdf

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Wish I could read German. The first article was fascinating. Something I've heard, but had no real facts.

Wauconda, IL

The government doesn't decide what is endangered, or not, in a vacuum. It gets input from scientists, biologists, conservation groups and even site volunteers. It is not easy, and is MUCH less easy these days, to get something listed as endangered, for reasons I'm not going to go into here.

I think the biggest problem is being able to buy non-native invasive plants at any 2 bit garden center you may go to. If the government decides to make selling these things illegal, then I say more power to them.

I grow some critically endangered plants in my back yard, along with more locally endangered ones.

Cincinnati, OH

Both sections of the law I quoted are word for word. Scientist and biologists are totally ignored. Facts don't matter, this is America.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.