French Hollyhock (Malva Syvestris)

Lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have a two year old plant and it has not bloomed yet. I have it in full sun to partial shade, soil is average the plant foliage is healthy and the plant is large. Any ideas?

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Mine have all bloomed from a January sowing. Are you fertilizing it too much?
Cala

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I wonder if it might be a regular biennial hollyhock and not malva sylvestris. Where did you get it? Could it be a case of mis-identity?

Poppysue
I was wondering that too.

Lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

The Seeds were purchased, there is not a misidentity. Thanks for the help. I'm still confused though. I fertilize the plant about once every 2 months with Fish Emulsion. Do you think that is too much or is the type of fertilizer the problem?

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Blaine it doesn't sound like too much fertilizer. I grow malva sylvestris as an annual. It starts blooming about 6 weeks after direct seeding in early spring. It doesn't happen often but once in a while the seed companies screw up. I just had some pink poppies that I grew from burpee seeds open up orange. MzMuchken posted a malva sylvestris photo on the ID forum not too long ago http://davesgarden.com/showthread/28852.html That's what the leaves should look like. Here is a hollyhock plant that she also posted http://davesgarden.com/showthread/51882.html They look similar but the malva sylvestris has glossy leaves. I can't think of any other reason it won't bloom for you.

Lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks I'll look at the plant again tomorrow. I did have a slight (understatment of the year)rabbit problem this spring that chewed the plant down but it has come back. Just a side thought.

I had a rabbit problem too, the ones it ate haven't bloomed either. Just a thought, Cala

Lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

thank you callalilly for the help. do they ever bloom that after they have benn eaten so extensively or should i wait for next year? can i start plants for next year? how easy are they to root and how?if anyone has seeds that would be a help because i have not been able to find any more.

thanks abunch

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.