tiny bugs on lily leaves underside

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I posted this in lilies and then thought I might post here too. Is this OK?

I have a number of different lilies - Casa Blancas, Star Gazers, etc. and I discovered this on the underside of ALL the leaves. This is on nothing else in the garden - just the lilies. So - I "pressure washed" each leaf (whew!) and now I need to spray? What suggestions? I love my lilies. The leaf is wet from my washing - not from the bugs. I decided I'd better grab one for a photo.

Also, ants are marching up and down the stalks like they do on the peonies....??

TIA,
Sterling in Atlanta

This message was edited Oct 2, 2005 6:54 PM

Thumbnail by sterhill
Griffin, GA(Zone 8a)

Aphids. Hopefully the water spray will work for you, because if you have to spray pesticides, you likely won't get Lady beetles, lace wings, syrphid flies, etc. in to eat them which might mean even more aphids later on if they resurge/return. Give it a few days and see if things come in to eat them. If not, you might wish to try something like insecticidal soap (Safer soap) that will get your aphids, but not harm much else on a long term basis.

And the ants are likely intersted in the aphids for honeydew, though I'm not sure that's what they do on the peonies. I think the ants are good for the peonies if I remember correctly, and you are supposed to leave them there? Anyone know for sure?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.