Native ginseng

Salem, MA

Anybody know where to purchase native ginseng plants? (Panax quinquefolius) The New England Wildflower society sells lots of rare stuff, but never seems to have ginseng. Also looking for Iris vernus. Any clues would be appreciated! Thanks!

Actually, I've been trying to track this down myself.

New Providence, NJ(Zone 6a)

Here is one link for it: http://www.shadeflowers.com/. I never bought anything from them. But they did have a good rating from the garden watchdog.

Fang

You know something, I ordered Twinleaf from them a few years ago and was very pleased. I forgot they were out there. Thanks for mentioning them. I will place an order.

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

"Johnny's Selected Seeds" (www.johnnyseeds.com) up in Maine sells Ginseng for planting.

In fact, they just sent me an e-mail newsletter this past week advertising it.

Hi Breezy, I went over there and every time I try to click on a flower I get this-

We could not process your last request.

We apologize for the inconvenience, but we could not process your last request. Please try again or contact customer service at our toll-free number: 1-877-564-6697 for assistance.

What am I doing wrong or is their site having problems?

Culpeper, VA(Zone 7a)

I'm getting the same thing - they must be having website problems today. Remember - the northeast has really been socked with rain these last several days. I heard reports of mucho flooding up in New Hampshire. Lord knows what's happening in Maine. I'd either try the site again during the week or give them a call.

Usually it is me doing something wrong. This time it must be them if the same thing is happening to you.

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

... cultivateweeds ...

Thought ya mite be interested in takin' a read of the vast wealth of info .. that's provided at these web sites.

The 'Iris vernus' .. I've not addressed at this time. sorry ..

Hope it heps ya out a wee bit ...

- Magpye

==================================================================

( #1 )

North Carolina Ginseng & Goldenseal Co. (Eagle Feather Organic Farm) >
http://www.ncgoldenseal.com/Goldenseal/Growing/growing.html

The above site, also posts this pertinent info:
MEDICINAL PLANTS FOR REPLANTING
The price of plants varies according to the season and the size. They can be purchased at Herb Festivials, Fairs, Conferences, and at Eagle Feather Organic Farm. See the calendar. (Note: plants are available only in the spring; please come back then)

==================================================================

( #2 )

Horizon Herbs > http://www.horizonherbs.com/

NOTE: They're also listed here > http://davesgarden.com/gwd/c/386 ... with xcellent reviews!!

===================================================================

( #3 )

Elixir Farms > http://www.elixirfarm.com/pandro.htm

( ... an excerpt ... )
Panax quinquefolia
American Ginseng
Spring and Fall Shipment
Endemic to the Ozarks, Ginseng is part of the royal family of tonic roots. In the wild you will find this perennial in the forest understory along with its companions: goldenseal, blood root and wild ginger. It grows best in a mixed planting rather than a monoculture, in 75% - 80% shade, and in a dry, rather than wet, rich soil. An adaptogen, Ginseng has many beneficial effects, particularly for people weakened by disease, old age or stress. This American ginseng is said to be more yin, sweeter, slightly more bitter and cooler than the Asian variety. A vital elixir that improves health, vigor and longevity. Grows to 1 foot, 80% shade. Well-drained woods soil.
$3.50 each for quantities of 3 - 99
$2.50 each for quantities of 100-500
Email farm@elixirfarm.com for orders above 500 to determine availability and price.

===================================================================

This message was edited Oct 16, 2005 3:20 PM

Salem, MA

They look like good companies. At this point it will have to wait until next spring. Enough time to plan :-) Thanks, Magpye and Fang.

Days Creek, OR

For really good quality Gin Sing seed I use Horizon Herb's in Williams, Or. They are organic, and really good people, a family run business. I'ts too late for planting now. If you can find seed or plants, need to plant NOW. The seeds or plants are ordered early in year, and shipped at exact time to plant. www.horizonherbs.com. By the way, I am absolutely thrilled to the max about discovering this web site!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There's a lot of Ginseng out there being sold,
American Ginseng is Panax quinquefolium.

This message was edited Mar 15, 2008 9:12 AM

NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Welllll, look at you, flyingfeather !!
A brand spankin' haint hardly even wet-behind-the-ears 'newbie', at that!! .. heehee
(merely luvinly teasin' ya a bit flyingfeather)

Heck, we're plum tickled pink to have ya!
So, a big ol 'hearty' welcome to DG to you, flyingfeather !!

And thank you .. for the info & the weblink.

- Magpye

Days Creek, OR

Thanks, Magpye. Did you ever visit that weblink?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.