Sasanqua Camellias are Beginning to Bloom

Savannah, GA

I am noticing that the Sasanqua Camellias in Savannah are just beginning to bloom. Camellias are my favorite shrub, so this time of year always excites me. One of the earliest Sasanqua varieties is one called 'Sparkling Burgundy'. I took this picture this week.

Thumbnail by camelliagirl
Hanover Twp., PA(Zone 6a)

How beautiful!

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

If they are beggining to bloom in Savannah then we can't be far behind.I can't wait.

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

I got about half a dozen last year - I love these in particular because they are scented. Mine haven't started yet, though they have buds. Can't wait :)

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Scented? I never knew camillias were scented! What do they smell like, and which ones are the most fragrant?

Camellia sasanqua are the ones that are often scented - and a few of the other species ones.
All the sasanquas I bought last year were subjected to the sniff test before I parted with my money:
Crimson King, Hugh Evans, Vera May, Maidens Blush, Namuri-gata
They're all in the Plant Files with photos I took last year: http://davesgarden.com/pf/search.php?search_text=Camellia+sasanqua&Search=Search

Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

As a general rule, are all scented camillias single blooms? Yours are really pretty.

Savannah, GA

pins2006,
Most of the fragrant species of camellias are sinle forms, but many of the hybrids have beautiful double flowers that are also fragrant. 'Fragrant Pink' and 'Cinnamon Cindy' have many small double blooms and both are fragrant. One of the most fragrant camellias is a hybrid called 'High Fragrance' that was developed in New Zealand. The picture here is of 'High Fragrance'.

Thumbnail by camelliagirl
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

How Beautiful! I'll have to be on the lookout for that one.

What a beautiful photo camellia!!
All those have gone on my shopping list ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.