Need a Suggestion?

Clovis, NM(Zone 7a)

Hello,
I am wanting to plant some type of japanese maple in the area between the geranium in the container and the holly shrubs. I am not sure as to what cultivator would be the best. The area is around 5' x 5', so I will need one of the smaller varieties but it could also grow bigger, as I don't mind if it grows past the liriope or the concrete, as long as it does not grow way to large. The site is facing North, it gets a little sun but is mostly in the shade. The next issue is I need a cultivator that is fairly hardy with the heat and drying winds. The only cultivators I have thought of so far are 'Red Dragon' and 'Shania'. If anybody has any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks!
Jared

Thumbnail by Z71JROD
Springfield, IL(Zone 6a)

Jared...most JM's like sun in morning and shade in afternoon esopecially in really hot areas like yours...but many will do fine in shade and that may be a good thing in your hot summer area. But most if not all will not be RED in the shade so you may be best with a green variety since yours will most likely be green anyway...I know the red dragon does NOT like cold wind and I assume hot winds would be also not ideal. Generally speaking dissectums are more prone to heat and wind damage but being in the shade may do well. As far as dwarf ...you can trim almost any JM to be whatever size you want ...there are several postings on this...and if you go dwarf you will certainly limit yourself with what to choose from and I see NO reason for it as long as you don't have trimaphobia ;>) There are many JM's that are 5-6 ft tall at maturuity ( 10 or more years !!!) that are not classified dwarf and can easily be trimed to stay shorter. Dwarfs, from my readings ( or "little trees" to be politically correct ;>)) are 1-3 ft at maturity and may look stupid in your area as small as they may be. As far as varieties I leave that to others hopefully in this forum that are in your area or other zone 7a places but I an posting so you DON'T limit yourself necessarily ...David Myers

Clovis, NM(Zone 7a)

Good deal. Thanks David. I agree with you about the dwarfs being too small if that is as large as they will get. It would be out of balance with the rest of the plants in the area. 5-6ft and maybe a little more would be no problem at all. I really am just not sure when it comes to Japanese Maples. The nurseries around here don't stock them and I have never seen one planted in my area either but i'm confident that the site would be the most important consideration. I will have to pay more attention to the amount of sun/shade that this area will recieve. Wind and heat damage would be a likely issue in this area as its not unlikely to have a temperature of 100+ in the summer month and we also get a lot of high winds.

Clovis, NM(Zone 7a)

Ok, I woke up this morning to see if the amount of sun/shade exposure in this area. It has sat in this shaded area for the whole morning with just a little bit of sun. My mom swears that the area gets sun in the early morning though during the rest of the year. I have noticed that the areas have changed now that it is changing to fall.

It doesn't really matter if the color is red or green. I would like the red color but if I had to get a green, I would want a lime or lighter green color. Something weeping/mushroom style or with nice fall colors but it doesn't really matter.

Just let me know what you think.

Thanks again,
Jared

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

If you want weepy effect BUT a taller plant (most weepers are relatively short) then 'Omure yama' might be a choice. It's foliage is green but fairly lacy and the fall colour if wonderful mix of yellow, orange and pink (again, most JP turn red in fall so again, this one is different)

Clovis, NM(Zone 7a)

Thanks very much. I have kept researching and have come up with a couple of different cultivators that i am interested in and think will work. Now I just need to narrow them down.

I do have one final question though, is fall a good time to plant a JM? Or should I wait until the spring?

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Spring is best for JP as they have somewhat more fleshy roots thna most maples. Check the entry for 'Omure yama' as a person in NC just posted theirs growing in a similar position to what you want...it looks quite good.

Clovis, NM(Zone 7a)

Good deal. I will wait until spring. I agree, that is a very nice looking JM. I think it would look very nice in that spot. I like the fact that it is a palmatum, has a weeping effect, and also have nice fall colors. What more could you ask for? I just bought Japanese Maples by J.D. Verdetrees(sp?), so I will study up on them over the winter.

Thanks once again.
Jared

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

If you like JP, then you will refer to that book again and again....one of the best book investments I've vere made.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.