Just a novice...

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Don't have the variety many have. Although, i've been trading irises to receiving more dahlias, like Blackberry Ripple, this fall. (This is the right time of year to trade dahlias, right?)

I lost That's Jake, Lilac Time, and Nicky K this year from not knowing exactly how to treat them. But want to share pictures of the survivors.

Going to try the saran wrap method of storage this year. Any advice other than what's already been posted will be appreciated.

Roni

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Ruth Ann

Thumbnail by Elizabethtown
Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Mingus Erica

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Chrissie

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Allie Yellow

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I'm still waiting for "Ruthann". She is teasing me, opening her first flower one petal at a time. Is your "Mingus Erica" also washed out like "Allie" or is it just the photo? It really should be a good strong orange at the edges. In my experience it is a good tuber maker. And good for taking cuttings off from. 3 of the 4 cuttings of Erica 'took', it was the first year that I'd tried cuttings, so I'm pretty happy. In my first years experience with "Blackberry Ripple", I'm not impressed with the plant itself. There are others out there with similar coloring, it has one more year to prove itself. It will go in a different spot next summer.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

She's opening.. . . .

Thumbnail by grannymarsh
Albany, OR(Zone 8a)

Hey, cool, Granny.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Ok, it was a rainy day. You've got such great shots Marsha. I'm hoping when my camera grows up it will catch 'em like your's does. hehe.

As far as mingus goes it is indeed very orange. In fact, so orange, my neighbor jokingly asked if I had planted an orange tree in my garden...

I will try to retake photos until I get them right...

This message was edited Oct 1, 2005 9:01 PM

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

I have a Kodak EasyShare DX6490. and bought an extra memory card. So one just takes a dozen shots of each subject, load them onto the PC and deletes the ugly ones. I love this camera. It is just about idiot proof. I am living proof of that !
The other thing I love about these new cameras is that you can e-mail just the images you want to Wal-Mart and pick them up whenever, this works especially well, when I'm trying to take pics of never-stand-still grandkids. Ya need a dozen tries to get a decent shot of a couple of 4 year olds.
Off topic:
Roni, I spent a large part of my afternoon checking out my Iris for increases, overall health, etc. You sent me some great rhizomes. Thanks again. I wish I had a "form" to help me track some of these things, right now I am just writing info on ruled paper or in my garden journal.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Marsha, thanks for the compliment. When I'm tracking plant info (mostly for my irises as I just starting in dahlias and have yet to understand FD, BB, IC, yada yada) I use a spreadsheet in ms excel for the information that is specifically important to me, such as hybridizer & yr of intro, bloom date, where i got the plant from (in case of disease as in hostas or loss altogether). Also have a document file to copy all of the plant registry info in ms word.

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

Good move on Ruthann, Granny. It is getting very peachy colored out here in cool temps and continues to be wonderful. Unfortunately we are now over 4.5 inches of rain in the past few days. I cut what I could, but have left a lot of blooms which now bend under the weight of the water. Traipsing out among wet leaves and leaning bushes in cold weather isn't my favorite dahlia past time. It's the time of year I actually call them icky.

Elizabethtown, here is a link to the keys to dahlia labelling.
http://www.dahlias.net/bgbysize.htm

It just doesn't make sense to me to go AA for super large, A for large, then B followed by BB. I took those ACT tests in high school and that is just not orderly. It defies logic; not that I'm logical. I just like to refer to them as Huge, large, med large, medium, small and smallest but I suppose I should learn the official lingo someday.

Granny, somewhere you mentioned hyperlink posting. Just go the page you want to display as a link; highlight by clicking the address bar ( have to have it displayed and that's done under "tools," Click on the address to highlight , right click and select COPY, come here to your post and place your cursor where you want the link, then hit PASTE by right clicking and selecting paste. It will show up in your preview.

Hagerstown, MD(Zone 6a)

Does this appear to Autumn Fairy. I got it at the local nursery bareroot in package. Picture looked solid orange. This is pink and yellow. Pretty but doesn't match package.

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Ruthann in it's full beauty. Behind her is Summer Night. Lovely in it's own right, this one makes all the others pop.

Thumbnail by grannymarsh

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.