Is my astilbe dead?

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

It's to dark to take a photo,but it's brown.
Do they go dormant in the summer or
did I kill it by not watering it enough?
Thanks,Jody

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Astilbes are really sensitive to drying out. Did you have a hot, dry summer like we did? 'Cause that would explain it. Mine did that prematurely this year too. I had a huge stand of Astilbe taquetti that I cut back because of the awful-looking dead foliage, and it left a big 'hole' in the garden. If it was earlier in the season, the astilbe would throw up new leaves, but I don't expect new foliage at this time of year. It'll be back next year, and I'm sure yours will too, don't worry. : )

Port Orchard, WA(Zone 8a)

Jodyc, my astilbes start going dormant in mid August so I think you're okay. they'll be back in the spring. the first year I grew them I thought they died also. lol hostajim1

Rockford, IL(Zone 4b)

Jody - mine always look like heck this time of year, too. They go dormant in the fall and then come back nicely - haven't lost one yet. Yours are probably fine - no worries

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Jody,

Mine too, watered it well enough but still goes dormant a tad earlier than other plants. So I usually cut it off,,,,can't stand looking at that brown foliage,,,makes me sad LOL. Should be fine in the spring.

Kelly

Northwest, OH(Zone 5b)

I have one that looked like it was dying as well. I cut it off and moved it to the 'orphan garden' a couple of weeks ago, and now it's got new growth. Just a bad time for them I think.

Palmyra, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks everyone.I'm getting new growth too.heehee it's not dead.hip hip hurray:-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.