Organic alternative to Daconil?

My pumpkins and some squashes are developing white moldy spots on the leaves, followed by a wilting of the leaf.

Ortho Daconil brings this under control, but I'm wondering if anyone knows of an organic alternative that can be used instead.

Dave

Lyles, TN

Dave: That sounds like powdery mildew. Best defense is a resistant variety, but if it's been a wet spring, plant (or thin) farther apart and dust w/ powdered sulphur. It's cheap fungicide and it doesn't stink, that's BURNING sulfur that stinks. Hope this helps, nothings' sadder than watching it spread.

Thanks for the info Ivey. A local gardener also suggested to me to mix 2 tbsp baking soda in a gallon of water and spray. Good idea or no?

I know the reason for the problem I'm having - the plants are too close together. The mildew is worst on the pumpkins that are crammed between the sunflowers, tomatoes, and squashes. There is no airflow and they are really crammed. :( Next year I've got to give these squash-types a lot more room.

Dave

I use 1 tsp. baking soda to a quart of water with a few drops of diswashing soap. Works for my fungus problems.

Lyles, TN

Dave: soda sounds good, too. Anything that changes the happy little "perfect" place the fungus has found to thrive. :) Same principle as when an insect starts running wild, multiplying like crazy, you gotta break up their lifecycle.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.