Iris seeds

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

Hello,

Can someone out there tell me when to collect the iris seeds.
I have a very deep purple bearded iris, don't know the name, that has two huge seed pods growing. Should I wait until they start to turn brown before harvesting the pods and collecting the seeds. The pods are about 4inches long and maybe 2inches around, like I said huge.
Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks a bunch.
Trailingon

Shavertown, PA(Zone 5a)

Hi:
I never knew Iris could come from seed. I always thought they multiplied at the tubers. I 've only read about dividing large clumps by digging and dividing the tubers althoug I've never had that much luck with them to have to divide. I'll be watching this thread for other opinions. I'd love to have some of those seeds if in fact you have luck with them.

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

Kathilo,

I have only had that clump for about 3 years. They are so purple they are almost black. This is the first time that they produced seed pods, but have multiplied well by root. I started out with only 1 tuber and now the patch is about 2 1/2 feet round. I also hope someone else responds as I would like to make sure that they are picked at the right time so that they are viable,
Trailingon

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

You can collect the seed from the pod now. If you wait too much longer the pod will turn brown, split and scatter
seed. And yes, when potted, the seed
will produce a plant, and develop a
tubor like a 4 o'clock. The plant will
not bloom the first year, but will in
it's second year.

dobie, ON(Zone 3a)

eyesoftexas,

Thanks for your help, will harvest them tomorrow. Another seed to trade yahoo.

Trailingon

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.