Overwintering Vines?

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

I have a huge Hawaiian Bell vine, & a beautiful Queen's Wreath vine. There are outside in pots now, but I need to know if anyone has grown these inside the house in winter, or should I put them in the greenhouse?Guess I'm gonna miss Fl temps this winter!LOL! Melba

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Melba-
Just my opinion, but these both need a lot of light. I would think they'd suffer indoors. If you have a greenhouse, that would definitely be the best place for them.
-T

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Melba, I am in the process of moving to Franklin Springs. My daughter lives in Commerce, actually closer to Nicholson. Glad to see DG people there!

Franklin Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Melba, I forgot to ask but what part of FL did you move from? We are originally from Polk County (Lakeland) but moved to Amelia Island 2 years ago when daughter moved to Commerce. My DH is glad he is finally getting me to move out of FL, for the first time in my life!

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

teateacher, Hi, Welcome to Ga! I lived between Vero Beach & Fort Pierce, Fl. I moved there in 2002 from Lavonia, Ga. I had lived on Lake Hartwell for years before my husbands death in 2000. Got remarried in 2002, moved to Fl. Frances & Jeanne (last year hurricanes) , helped to send me back to Ga! LOL!
I have family now in Lavonia, & one of my grandsons goes to college in Franklin Springs.
Hope you are happy with your new home. Cheers! Melba

This message was edited Oct 5, 2005 4:18 AM

Commerce, GA(Zone 8a)

seedpicker, thanks for your response! I did manage to get a Rion greenhouse recently. Due to DH's illness, haven't had much time to work on assembly! Hope to get it done before cold gets here.
We have had much needed rain for the past 2 days, cooler temps, but temps supposed to be back in mid-80's next week. Funny weather for this area! Fall???
Melba

Mc Call Creek, MS

Melba, I'm not familiar with the Hawaiian Bell vine, but I'd put the petrea in the greenhouse as soon as it gets cold. I had one that bloomed midwinter every year. I would put it in the greenhouse when it was blooming. Every time I put it in the house it got aphids over the moon. I don't know where those little boogers hide, but they are impossible to get rid of on petrea in the house for some reason. Incidentally, I didn't keep the greenhouse too much above freezing and it did just fine in there.

I've got a different petrea vine now that blooms off and on all summer, but has never bloomed in the winter. Go figure.

Kay

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.