weeping youpon question

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

My SIL wants to top her Weeping Youpon. Is it ok to do it now? Or should she wait?

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

"Topping" is a dirty word. If you mean it in the traditional sense, then there is no correct time to top any tree, yaupon or otherwise, unless you are removing it. Can you give more info about the circumstances or the proposed action?
Guy S.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Hey Guy,
Thanks for taking the time to answer....
OK, this is a weeping youpon. When she bought it , it was in a 1 gallon pot, and about neck(I'm 5'7") high. She planted it next to her porch...it is now touching the roof top. She wants to cut the top out of it and get it back down to size...I believe she wants to keep it about 8 to 10 foot tall. Is it possible to do this without killing the tree? She does not care if it bushes out....she just doesnt want it to be so tall.
Thanks again for your time & help!!
Sue

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Perhaps crown reduction (selective pruning to reduce the overall size) would work, but it needs to be redone every year or two. I would not top it in the sense of giving it a haircut -- find the longest (tallest) branches and cut them back to smaller side branches, leaving the general appearance of the plant relatively natural.
Guy S.

Springville, AL(Zone 7a)

Great!! Thanks so much for the help!! I will pass the info on to her!!
Have a wonderful weekend!!!!
And THANKS again!!
Sue

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

By the way, are you anywhere near Huntsville? I'll be doing a couple of programs at the Urban Forestry conference there during 19-20 October. Let me know if you plan to be there, so we can meet in person!
Guy S.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.