this was from seed said snail vine ?

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

this was from seed said snail vine ?

Thumbnail by tazzy

another shot

Thumbnail by tazzy
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

This looks like the spinach vine to me but I could be wrong.
:) Donna

That what a lady from the garden club thought
Is the foliage eatable ?

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Yes it is supposed to be. Never tried it myself...lol.

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Tazzy-
you definitely have the malabar spinach. There is a red stemmed, and a white stemmed. You have the more decorative red stemmed.

It is a far cry from snail vine. Sorry you didn't get what you traded for...

It is an annual and is "supposed to be" edible. I had my more brave husband try it for me, and he spit it out! He said it tasted like hair gel, lol...it is supposedly really gooshy...ick!

I just harvested a few snail vine pods. I'll send you the real snail vine for sase, if you are still looking for it. (this is NOT the corkscrew, it is the snail that I have, by the way...)
-T

Pickens, SC(Zone 7a)

Tazzy....now you have to "just eat it "...I'm sorry ...I had a "silly" moment. I have a small corkscrew you could have if you want to send postage. I would want to send it in the pot. But someone closer might have something less expensive to ship. :)

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

red malabar spinach (Basella rubra) should be prepared like savoy-type spinaches and has a flavor range similar to swiss chard. super good in stir fries with young beans and meat if you'd like. serve it over rice and it really cuts the gelatinous texture of the leaves because it just chews up like rice when cooked. Herbs that go well with it are garlic/chive with b utter (french prep) or more miso/lemon/radish stir fry flavors.

i think i am hungry sound good will try any thing ONCE
Thanks for offer of snail vine . but i will have seed from about a zillion Mg to deal with so i have run out of room this plant is in pot so i wont be using space for it next year . a lot of my vine trade seeds were miss named it hard to keep track i guess

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

tazzy, I think alot of people get the snail and corkscrew vine mixed up. They probably thought they were sending the correct seeds.

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

Well you better love it alot because once it gets a good start your gonna have spinich awhile. It is very hardy and the seeds are ALL fertile...............LOL
Bona peitie'...........LOL

Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.