a few of the plants that I have in shade

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 8a)

I will start with my new find from park's seed or wayside. This varigated illicium 'Shady Lady'.

Thumbnail by weeding

This is illicium 'Florida Anise'.

Thumbnail by weeding

Fatsia Japonica

Thumbnail by weeding

Florida Azalea

This message was edited Sep 28, 2005 8:29 PM

Thumbnail by weeding

Azalea 'Midnight Flame"

Thumbnail by weeding

Various Ferns and Hostas

Thumbnail by weeding

Toadlily Macrantha

Thumbnail by weeding

Camellia Yultide

Thumbnail by weeding

Helleborus

Thumbnail by weeding
White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Cynthia - gosh, I loved all your beautiful pics. Many of the plants won't grow here but I love looking! I'd love to see your garden, it must be very colourful at certain times of the year. That 'Midnight Flame' Azalea is gorgeous. Do you have any overall pics of your garden? Did you have a good summer weather-wise way down there?

Tremont, IL(Zone 5b)

I really like to color of your Hellebrosu. Mine has the white flowers. Now I need to get one like yours. :)

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

I have never heard of a Florida Azalea before, but that might have something to do with me living in Ohio. Wow, does it have neat flowers? Do you have a picture of the the whole bush in bloom? Its beautiful.

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

cynthia--so interesting to see the range of plants you have in your shade garden...I am intrigued by your azalea, too. I wonder if we could get it to grow here...that is, if the deer don't get it.

I am glad you posted these on the shade forum...it gives me some new ideas...t.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

cynthia,

Beautiful pics. Your plants all look so lush and healthy.

Kelly

Austell, GA(Zone 7a)

Cindy,

I know your yard must be stunning. Love the pics, love the variegates and especially the toad lily. I've been searching for a yellow one. Hopefully, next year I can get one from PlantDelights or Big Dipper Farm. Is the illicium hardy here?

Brenda

Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Cynthia,
What beautiful lush plants! Thanks for sharing.
Terrie

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I love the Toadlily Macrantha... I have never seen this one before. I have two other toads but this one is yellow? Too cool.

I am in Dunwoody, GA and am currently trying to clear my big backyard of all the IVY!!!

If you ever want to trade toad seeds let me know. I had the Hirta (one plant) and tried the seeds. I now have dozens of plants and have given away dozens and dozens more! I also have about 10 electric blue - Samuari - that I raised from seed.

The rabbit got all my hirta this year, just before blooming. :(

Cheers, Sterling

Thumbnail by sterhill
Decatur, GA(Zone 7a)

Sterling, what great colors on your hirta! I'm right down the street (so to speak) from you. I'm right off Lawrenceville Hwy ITP and my mom is in Sandy Springs OTP.

Atmore, AL(Zone 8b)

That Florida azalea is one of the azaleas native to the southeast.The flowers look almost like honeysuckle. In the past people have avoided using them because they are not evergreen like the asian variety. I am glad to see they are finally gaining popularity. Check out the website www.mailordernatives.com to see more native azaleas.

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

A lovely selection - and nice to see so many flowers. I have problems finding something that flowers in summer in shade to take over from the many spring flowering plants and bulbs.

Cincinnati, OH

Shady & Tobasco
Most deciduous Azaleas are very hardy. R. austrinum is not suited to Ohio. There are many hybrids such as Wise Decision from Roslyn:
www.roslynnursery.com/GeneratedItems/catalogpages/fallfling04.htm
I have 'My Mary' from Mowbray Gardens in Tobasco's back yard, he may have other R. austrinum crosses.

Sorry it took so long to get back on this post. The illiciums I have are hardy in my zone 7b.The florida anise is hardy from zone7 -10.
http://www.floridata.com/ref/I/illi_flo.cfm
Wayside and Parks Seed is the only nursery that I have seen "Shady Lady" and "Aztec Fire". They are bought hardy to from zone 6 -9.
http://www.waysidegardens.com
My Macrantha toadlily did come from Plant Delights Nursery.

Cindy

Woodbury, CT

If you are talking about the wildflower yellow toad lily, I have some here in zone 5. They are "ephemerals" which disappear after flowering.

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Hi Lent,
You have tested my memory and I couldn't come up with the name on my own-had to look up in wild flower book. I believe you are refering to Erythronium americanum aka Trout lily & Dogtooth Violet- I too have these on my property. They bloom in spring and the leafs disappear around here in May sometime. The plant is prolific in the back yard, but few plants bloom. CynthiaW is refering to 'Tricyrtis' aka Toadlily, depending on the variety they bloom late summer - early fall.There are lots of varieties and I am still on the hunt for yellow.

I love both, I wish my trout lily would bloom more, does anyone have any suggestions?

Shady

Woodbury, CT

Thanks for the correction. My trout lily blooms fairly well, with older plants flowering in dappled shade. Mine marches about a foot and a half each year in the direction of my next door neighbors. I think the age of the specific plant has something to do with the flowering. (yellow). Good luck.

Vassar, KS

Is there a flower that will bloom in half a day's worth of shade?My house blocks the am sun, but the pm sun is quite warm....I live in 5a---or is it b, it's Vassar Ks. I tried marigolds last year and they were pitiful. It getws awful hot in the pm for impatiens.
HELP

somewhere, PA

You get afternoon sun? And you want an annual, right?
Tam

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Annual Begonias will JFB We put out about120-150 every year. They will take all kinds of sun abuse. I buy them by the 6 pack. They will bloom in good soil way into the fall. Thry are tuff.

somewhere, PA

That's a great suggestion Oz! I started a few from seed (Tenella Rose) from T&M that were unbelievable.
See the picture in PlantFiles.

Tam

Columbia Heights, MN(Zone 4a)

jfb1ak - You said you tried impatiens, but did you try the New Guinea Impatiens? They can take more sun and they bloom all season long. I use them in baskets that get full morning sun and in garden beds that get afternoon sun. They do well in both places. Parks has seeds for all different colors. I bought cherry red, lavender and white for this summer. The red ones are going into baskets and the lavender and white into various spots around my gardens.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.