Intriguing Seedling

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I sure hope I spelled intriguing correctly. LOL.
This was one of the top attention getters at the local dahlia association's seedling contest. They gave prizes for "most challenged" in color " most challenged " in shape/form, best form and best color I think. This one intrigued the two judges as well as alot of the audience.

The purplish tips just seem to luminesce and change as the light changes. Oh, I hope someone can produce this is a few years.

Thumbnail by Poochella
Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

Very nice indeed. Those purplie tips give it an aura.
Do you suppose that they would need someone to test/trial it in their garden? Bi-coastaly ? That would be a neat thing to be involved with. Let's ask them?? !!

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

Annie, I think you ought to try raising some dahlias from seed. You never know exactly what you might come up with. Swan Island sells a packet of at least two hundred seeds for $10. I have about 5 varieties that I have saved from seed I raised. It even might be interesting to do a little hybridizing. Have you tried that? Joann

Issaquah, WA(Zone 7a)

I've thought of it Joann and a guy spoke on seed collection and pollination at that same meeting, but I just don't have the space. They say if you get one decent bloom- color and a shape wise- out of a thousand plants, you're doing well in the world of seedlings.
It just seems like long odds to me, but I agree it would be fun to try!

I did get a couple of late sown gift dahlia seeds to sprout and they even have buds, but I don't know if they're going to bloom or not with our weather.

Have you ever tried it?

Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

I have grown from seed, but not done any hybridizing. I haven't really even collect any of my own seed from dahlias ever.
Man , we are sure getting the rain this afternoon and evening.

Aptos, CA

This year I am going to salvage some seed. So far I have obtained seed from "Sean C" next one I am working on is "Pooh"...I am going to try "Bodacious" and "Porcelain"...should be kinda fun!

Our Monterey Bay Dahlia Society President has an entire patch for seedlings...can you imagine how exciting that would be...the anticipation of waiting to see the first bloom!

Fun fun fun!

Thumbnail by sudhira
Mount Angel, OR(Zone 8a)

It is great fun, I have raised them for a couple of years. However, I didn't do anything this past season.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.