Clematis Florida Sieboldi

Mars, PA

This is my second attempt to grow a Sieboldi as an indoor plant. I bought the first one at Walmart and it bloomed beautifully for weeks, but then it died. I even moved it outside, trying to save it. Well, I just bought another from Wayside Gardens and the little seedling arrived yesterday. Does anyone know how to successfully grow these indoors over the winter. I live in Pittsburgh, so I don't think it would make it outside over the winter. I know they need cool roots and warm sun on the leaves. Maybe I should do something to keep the pot cool. I don't know. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

Ellicott City, MD(Zone 7a)

C. Florida Sieboldi can be a tricky Clematis to grow! I tried unsuccessfully to grow mine outside. I haven't purchased another Florida Sieboldi, since it can be difficult to grow. I hope you have better luck growing it indoors.

The deeper the container the better! I would make sure that you have a very large container & a trellis, put it near a window that receives a lot of sunshine, especially during the Winter months. Make sure to keep it moist, not wet, and don't let the roots dry out.

I recently purchased C. Vienetta, which is very similar to Florida Sieboldi, but suppose to be hardier. I just received mine from the Park Seed Company. You might want to check their website or contact them, if you are interested.

Mars, PA

Thanks, I did order the Vienette from Park Seed. I also tried to grow that one before and, it, too, died. I think the key is keeping the roots cool and the leaves warm. I read in Trowel and Error that lining th e pot with bubble wrap before adding the soil can help in this area. Maybe I will try it. I would imagine that the opposite could be true as well, it could hold in heat. I will look into it more and post what I find. Are you going to try to grow the C Vienetta outdoors or inside? I am going to give in a try inside again. Good Luck.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Mine has been in the greenhouse all sumer and, I have found that they die off, when too wet, so I've kept him drier and, I think, I've suceeded with him...flowers also...must watch out for mealy-bug!@#$%^ Elaine PS.......when he dies to the soil level in the container, every yr without fail, he shows up again...I think the secret is in the container!!!!!!!!

Mars, PA

Well that's good news! I will keep him nice and dry and hopefully my container will have a secret, too. At what time of year does he die back and how long before you start to see new growth? I do have one that died to the soil level, but it never came back. Maybe I kept it too wet. I hope I have better luck this time than my previous disasterl Thanks for the tips.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.