Prepare to laugh! Another new *farmer*. Gardening on acres?

Hillsboro, OH(Zone 6a)

Hello farm people! I am sure you all thought this forum was out of reach and safe from my strange posts! LOL It's official. I bought a farm. You now will have the pleasure of shaking your heads, laughing at my complete ignorance and trying to answer my posts without reaching through the monitor and smacking me!

I bought a small farm that has a house, garage, several out buildings and sits on 7 1/4 acres (There are many more empty acres to the side and rear of the property that I may someday want to purchase.) At some point, previous owners had horses and chickens for sure. It is easy to see old fence posts, a gate and tensile fencing with electric connections. It is hard for me to figure out how much of the fields were for critters. I plan to get a bush hog this week and clear all the fields so I can figure out what is what.

The land looks to be somewhat square with the buildings and expansive lawn (let me use that word loosely-lots of weeds) taking up about the front left quarter of the property. I plan to keep my personal gardens in front of the house and garage which pretty much sit side by side and about 100 feet off the road. I intend to use the right front quarter (or less) of the property for a commercial plant nursery.

Here is where the stupid questions start. Many people have suggested I not take spreading plants (somewhat invasive) and at first thought I think I definately do not want to take them. On the other end of things, I very often see people post that they need lots of plants because they have so many acres to fill. I am talking about plants like obedient plant, gooseneck loosetrife, sunchokes, etc. Am I going to want a few of these to fill in some of the gaps or should I leave plants like that behind? As farmers, is there anything you constantly hate, shake a stick at, refuse to grow or would be really worried and upset to see growing on your land or nearby? I am farm ignorant and know that these people make their living off their land. I would sure hate to be the person that introduced 1 million seeds of something they thought they had irradicated. :(

I hope you guys can give me some insight.
Never fear, I will be back with tons of stupid question. :)

This thread has 50 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!