This was too die for, a must must must have.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Sue (Calif_Sue) and I went to the Berkeley Botanical Gardens to visit with Marilyn (faeden) yesterday. They had a tree of this. And I am talking about a TREE not a bush.

We both went nuts simultaneously.

So where do we buy it?? Anyone know??? We are desperate for it.

Know the name??

This message was edited Sep 25, 2009 10:23 AM

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Could this possibly be Confederate Rose, Cotton Rose????

Oh my. Does a Confederate Rose grow into a tree with a thick trunk and branches??

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I see Confederate rose comes in all colors and even doubles.

Is this one??

Thumbnail by Kell
lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Kell I don't have any of the single but here is a picture of mine. Did they have different colot blooms. The confederate rose will open light pink and then turn dark pink or I have another that opens white and then turns pink the next day. It will have two different color blooms on it at the same time when it is in full bloom. Here's the pink. Maybe you can tell by the leaves.

Thumbnail by Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's the white one. I have never seen a single but Soulgardenlove, Susan, told me last week that she had the single She might know if that it is or not.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Here's the bloom when it first opens. White

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

The Confederate Rose can grow into as high as 30 ft. The tallest one of mine is about 12 feet high and one is about 8 and another one about 3. The white is about 8 ft tall. The oldest is 3 years old. I was wondering if there were any of them in California. You want a cutting or two when I cut them back? The pink ones I bought and the white one I rooted from a limb that a gril I worked with gave me. They say they are easy to root. It took me forever to get the white to root. Seems I always have trouble with white flowers rooting. ?????? The reason I haven't tried to root the pink is because I paid only $5 for a gallon pot and thought that was cheap enough with out spending time trying to root.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Meant to add the bloom of the pink. Here she is.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Oh my gosh, Jim. Be still my double pink heart. That last picture has my name all over it. I NEED it. LOL What zone is it hardy too?

All of yours are so beautiful. I do not understand why they are not all over here. I have never seen one before. And I get around.

Sue will go nuts when she sees all your colors. You are a lucky man!

Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

Oh man I AM going nuts! Are they easy to root from stem cuttings? Water or starter mix and baggie over it? The leaves look the same as the one we saw but I only saw all pink, nothing lighter on any blooms as shown in the large plant pic kell posted. Maybe this is just some un-named hybrid. It was just stunning, such a bright pink and rich green foliage!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

OHHH so they are all from the same tree? WOW. Oh Sue, be still our pink hearts.

Yes, can you imagine, ALL those shades on ONE plants! Just think of the room you can save if we could have that in all the plants we like! Grafted or natural, an ever changing collage of colors all on one plant! Sigh....

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

The light pink turns to a dark pink the next day and the white turns to a medium pink the next day.
I am in zone 7 and did a search and it says zone 8-10. But I see them around here all the time. I have seen one that was about 30 feet tall. That was where I bought mine they rooted them off of the cuttings from it when they cut it back, Everyone says they are easy to root. I plan on trying some of the pink ones this year when I cut them back to see if they root.

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

We are begging, Jim. Aren't we Sue?

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

You don't have to beg folks, cuttings are plentiful and they really are easy to root. I have never even tried to start them from seed but I suspect that would be easy too. It is still warm here and mine have not even started to bloom but it is quite a show when they do.
I would hate to sacrifice a flower but as soon as they are finished blooming I would be happy to share cuttings.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Mine needs a home in California. Send me your address and I will send cuttings as soon as I cut them back. It will be a while before they quit blooming. Ardesia do you have white and pink, single or double?

I have the double 'mutabilis', it is the one that changes color. I have a friend with the all pink one and that one blooms for a much longer period. That is next on my wish list.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Both of mine changes colors as the picture above shows.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Jim, oh my gosh... that's a beauty.. yes, the ones I have bloomed so far are singles.. Here it is. I have a few that have not bloomed yet and they were planted late and new plants, so I'm really hoping that's what I have. I'd be elated!!

Here's my single:

Susan

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Kell.... the leaves of your plants are ceratinly confederate rose. The gardener where my originals came from has one in his garden that is at least 20 feet high right now... and these are cut back down to the ground every year!! The roots put up new growth and they increase in size each year. He told me that it was only three years old. However, your in a much warmer climate.... yours may not need to be cut back??

Susan

Oh Kell, why are we always drawn to these monsters? 20 ft? Where will we put it? and the huge passi too! Need more land!

They are monsters. One year I tried to keep one of mine smaller by repeatedly pruning it back by half. I cut it back once a month throughout the growing season until it set buds. Wouldn't you know that plant then grew like it was on steroids and by the time the buds opened it was as large as if I had not cut it back. I was rewarded with many more branches and flowers, but it was still too large for the spot it was in so I started new plants for different locations and had to destroy the big one. They are deciduous and leave a huge bare spot during the cooler months.
This is a photo of a 2 yr. old planted in partial shade. It has not received any supplimental water or food; nor have I pruned it back so it is kind of leggy. It is over 9' tall, not including that rogue branch that is growing up through the Live Oak.

Thumbnail by ardesia

Oh Oh, maybe we should just keep visiting Momma plant every month!

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh come on! Put it in the front yard somewhere!! :)

Susan

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Yea Sue, what has happened to your fit one more in attitude? LOL

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Well if you decide you want a cutting let me know.
Susan I will have yours at the roundup. I am ready to see you girl.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks!!

Geez Jim, I'm getting fatter and had wanted to lose some weight the last time!! Oh well, know that your my true friend and wont mind :)

Kell, what about your yard? Ya got room for one fo those babies? How about you plant it in someone elses yard? That might be fun. I have this love oak in a pot that I've been going back and forth about planting. There was this very nice grassy area by the river where folks would bring their blankets and dogs and enjoy the day and now the good folks that run the govt funded place have seen fit to let it return to it's "natural state" and people can't enjoy it like they use to. I've been seriously considering planting the live oak there. I think it would be a great living testament to my rebellious personality.

Susan

Canna Jim gave me :)

Thumbnail by soulgardenlove
lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Thanks for the picture Susan. I think that is King Humpert. I hope I spelled it correctly.
Kell I took this picture today of the pink CR. Wanted you to see how many buds are in the top of that thing. Now the tree in the background is a Mimosa. How many of those do you want? LOL

You're teasing us Georgeiaredclay! Where is that picture?

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Well I thought I added it but here it is.

Just love the leaves on that plant too, and that is going to really pop when all those buds open!
Mimosa, no way, I am pulling them constantly from seeds coming from the neighbors tree over the fence.

Marietta, GA(Zone 7b)

NICE! :)

Susan

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

I can't believe 4 years has gone by almost to the very day. We are all 4 years older! ICK!

I still do not have this plant!!! I dropped the PINK ball. LOL

I am reevaluating if the one Sue and I saw is really the one you all have. Are the leaves the same? The one we saw is a tree while the one Alice has looks more bush like. What do you all think?

The thing that brings this up is I saw a small one the other day planted. It was small and woody not big and lush with stems like the one Alice has. And of course I wanted it. LOL

This message was edited Sep 25, 2009 11:50 AM

Thumbnail by Kell
San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Somethings never change. I am always in want or need. LOL

Thumbnail by Kell

Oh my, a blast from the past, what fun to see this again!

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

Well the leaves look the same but mine grow more into a tree form than the one that ardesia posted above. Mine doesn't spread like that. I guess I forgot about promising cuttings. I'll see what I can do this year.
A friend that used to come and sit with Bobbie came and got a cutting while I was at work last year and she was successful in rooting it. Now the white one I rooted from a limb about 5 feet long that a friend gave me. I placed it in a 5 gallon jar that I had and it took forever but when I noticed the first root in the ground she went.
I think I can buy them next spring in gallon size pots for $5. That was the last price I remember seeing. The man that grows them usually comes in where I work on Saturday morning and I will ask him if he is planning on rooting some. If he is I will get all of you some next spring.

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

I've got 2 growing in pots that are ready to be put in the ground. ;-) I rooted those 2 without trouble but I tried just sticking some in some soil & nothing. The cuttings when put in water, develop the "white nodes" (?) just like the brugs do when you root them in water & from there it's a piece of cake. I bought cuttings on line.

good to see ya'll over here!

debbie

San Leandro, CA(Zone 9b)

Not your fault Georgiaredclay. I dropped the ball. Thanks!

Debbie, what is the name on your cuttings? What colors did you get.

I am off today to see if I can find that tree again. It should be in total bloom and hard to miss. After looking at this thread the other day, I got all excited again to see it so I went back. I looked but could not find it. I wandered all over looking for it. It was so hot I thought I was going to die.

Disputanta, VA(Zone 7a)

mine is exactly like Georgiaredclay's! nicknamed the "confederate rose", double blooms starting white changing to pink & a darker pink, all 3 colors on the same bush! Have fun on your outing!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.