Upcoming Aristolochia grandiflora Show

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello All.

After seeing only single flowers so far this year, it's fun to end the season with a "flush" of Aristolochia grandiflora buds. They should (hopefully) have enought time to bloom out before our cold weather sets in.

Erick

Thumbnail by ErickMN
Northern California, United States(Zone 9a)

These are just fascinating! I didn't know what they were called when I spotted one in a nursery and seeing this thread, I googled and remembered I took a shot of it. I love unusual things and this sure fits the bill.

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you Calif_Sue. I agree about growing unusual things. The Aristolochia family has a lot of those to offer!

Erick

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

They are so cool looking! I can't to start some for next year.
:) Donna

Capistrano Beach, CA(Zone 10a)

how big of a pot is that? will most vines flower in that small a pot?

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

naien, I believe it's in a 12" clay pot. I have all my Passifloras and Aristolochias in 10" - 12" pots. As long as I keep an eye on them so they don't dry out too much, they seem to thrive, and most bloom regularly. Also, living here in Minnesota, it's easy to move them outside in the spring and inside in the fall.

Erick

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Thank you Donna. I highly recommend them for a cool novelty vine!

Erick

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

EricMN, I have had a plant now for 2 yrs, loads of healthy leaves and a great looking plant, I had it on the Patio all summer in full sun, but still has never had a bloom, I am about to give up unless there is a secret to get it to bloom, at least one flower

Thumbnail by kareoke
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello kareoke,

Your plant does indeed look very healthy and lush. I'm sorry, but I can't imagine why you don't have tons of flowers. I, too, keep my Aristolochia potted, in full sun, and keep it moist and fertilized regularly. It doesn't bloom at lot, but I always get at least a dozen flowers a season. I hope you get a well-deserved flower soon.

Erick

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

Thanks Eric, but it is frustrating

Jones Creek, TX(Zone 9a)

ARISTOLOCHIA FIMBRIATA

ARISTOLOCHIA ELEGANS (Aristolochia Littoralis)

ARISTOLOCHIA CALICO FLOWER

Aristolochia Birthwort Vine

ARISTOLOCHIA CLEMATITIS

Aristolochia fimbriata Pipevine Swallowtail Hostplant

Aristolochia Serpentaria Virginia Snake

Aristolochia tomentosa

There are many in this family and most are just soooo unusual and sooo pretty....
All of these as can be had as seed on e-bay and are not to expensive..

This is a bloom and seed pod on my plant. I enjoy it and it has bloomed non stop for me this summer. I am so glad we didn't get the storm or I may have lost it. It has grown through the pot and into the soil and it is just to hot to cut the roots now. I will move it this winter and repot it.....
Here is a link that is intresting and shows some I don't have listed here....
http://www.mobot.org/gardeninghelp/plantfinder/Plant.asp?code=W820

Thumbnail by WillowWasp
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Erik did you bring in your dutchman's pipe to overwinter??

St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Hello Donna.

I actually brought it in several weeks ago. We haven't yet had a hard freeze here in St. Paul - in fact, some things are still blooming up a storm in the gardens - but it is my understanding that A. grandiflora doesn't much like temps under 60. It's now sitting in the corner of my indoor grow room. I'm hoping to baby it through the winter and put it outside again next spring. I've also taken several cuttings just in case. They don't root easily, but I usually get 50% to make it.

Thank you for asking.

Erick

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Have you overwintered this one before?

Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I have had mine in the house now for over a month and it is growing like crazy, only had two blooms on (first time) and they didn't last long.

Thumbnail by kareoke
Greensburg, IN(Zone 6a)

ErikMN what is that lovely flower beside your Pipe plant?
This is when mine finaly got two blooms.

Thumbnail by kareoke
St. Paul, MN(Zone 4b)

Donna, yes, I did. I took it as a cutting from the orignal plant last summer and managed to get it through the winter by treating it like a true tropical - as bright of light and as much humidity as I could provide. It stayed small and did just fine. The original plant did not fare as well. I tried to push it into dormancy over the winter, and apparently did too good of a job. It is my understanding that they can be made to go (semi?) dormant, but I don't yet know how to do it.

kareoke, your elgans looks great. Lush and healthy. The flowers are worth the effort! The flowers to the left of the Aristolochia in my picture are Mt. Fuji Japanese morning glories. They actually performed quite well in the garden and bloomed well from mid-summer on.

Erick

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.