Hurricane Rita - Thread #6

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Cala, who is Frannie? (DG name)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Oops, Brugnanny is Frannie.

Thanks, Cala/Suzie! It's so hard when many of us don't know personal names, and yet care.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

Actually Elaine, we the locals are generally pleased with our leadership in handling this situation. A greatly aggravating factor was the nervousness that Katrina instilled in all of us. People that didn't necesarily have to evacuate have blocked the byways and that has made it more difficult for the ones that were in direct harm's way to get the heck out of dodge.

Still, there will be lots of lessons to be learned from Rita and it will all be for the best.

Yeah, I'm getting confused on this name thing. Sooo, I'm just praying and praying like I said. If I don't name you ... just know I'm praying any ole way! ... Elaine

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Still here.. finished with board woods up the windows on south side.. Now we are watching TV close to see if we have to leave.. DH is feeling weaken right now and he is taking rest His life is risk due two blood clots in legs. He's in poor health. It will be difficult for us to leave here.. the HWY 27 from I-10 are clogged.. and our street is busy traffic right now.. If we couldnt able to get out.. we will just hunker down between halls with matress.. blankets.. foods drinks.. in this house. Been praying so hard for Rita to going down Cat 3... We cant go to east or west.. all we all the evucatee have to go north..

If we have to leave all I do is bring chickens in the garage in cages..

keep you all posted..

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Tricia - we're praying for you :)

Dea

Gosh vossner, I'm not finding fault with your leaders ... just want everyone to be safe, that's all. I sure wouldn't want to be in their shoes or anyone's either. Just venting. ... Elaine

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

We still here too my husband is trying to get done ready hopefully to leave today if not then will leave early in the morning.
Hope all of you have safe and be careful love u all.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Love and prayers to you too Debbie - you take care :)

Big HUGS !!!

Dea

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Elaine, thanks and if I hear from Saint (araness) I will contact you as well. It seems to me that with all the zillions of evacuees we had in Houston and all the areas in TX is what has made the evac harder. It is too bad that the highways didn't get rerouted to all be going north earier.

I've been worried about my brother-in-law. He is in NY working this week and was suppose to come home tonight via Houston. Well, my sister called him this morning and told him to get on a plane asap to get home b/c she doesn't want him stuck in NY. Anyway...sure enough, Bob said that the Houston airport was already closed down. which I don't quite understand but I'm sure some DGer will enlighten me. He had to drive 3 hours to Harford, CT and to catch a plane there that will take him thru DFW. You see, you can't fly to and from Austin direct (except to San Jose)...either have to go thru DFW, Houston, Atlanta...

Michelle

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

Everybody stay safe. Might be a good idea if Dave started a Rita forum. That way we could start some threads of who has left etc so we can keep better track.
Other than ones already posted above emh48 was leaving this morning.

East Texas, United States(Zone 8a)

I think they have been closed because every ticket avail. for sale to anywhere has been sold. So going to airport now to buy ticket would simply jam traffic further and waste everybody's time. that applies to bus depots also. The news said an hour ago that if you don't have a bus or plane ticket in hand, do not bother to go there.

also said that even when people had tickets, check-in was taking 4-6 hours. that's if you have a ticket.

Ahhh, so sad about emh48 who lost the woman (aunt) who raised her earlier this week. They cannot ebven hold a funeral until well after Rita. Gld to hear she evac'd.

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

DH has a friend who lives near Austin. He says that everyone is going crazy there buying supplies for what he calls a "non-event" of 4 inches of rain and 30 mph winds. He says that they have even closed schools for tomorrow.

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

The local news said for people like us who want to leave.. they said we have to make choice.. if we leave.. we wont be able to get away from Rita.. We still go thru into the storm since traffic still clogged.. and not move too much.. or stay in the house and be safety.

Since we re in the house.. resting and watch TV.. also catch all wash dishes.. do laundry etc.. so we will be able to have clean clothes for more few days.. We hve plenty waters.... foods. Tonight I might have to cook catfish or pork chop so I dont have to worry about waste them.

We feel the windy right now. Still HOT and FULL of Lovebugs!!!!!!!! I noticed.. Hummingbirds have left.. I guess they know it's coming.. Tonight, I will take feeders down.

Gotta to go and rake the hays for the chickens before rain start tonight or tomorrow.
Hugs,
Tricia

This message was edited Sep 22, 2005 3:52 PM

(((((((Tricia and family)))))))

Rose318 is posting here, for HELP. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/546604/

Quoting:
Might be a good idea if Dave started a Rita forum.

That what I was thinking a bit ago so I asked Dave about it. Maybe if enough people asked for it?

I 'spects he will...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

From the 5 pm Discussion on the NOAA site:

Hurricane RITA Discussion
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Home Public Adv Fcst/Adv Discussion Strike Probs Wind Probs Maps/Charts Archive

US Watch/Warning
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WTNT43 KNHC 222049
TCDAT3
HURRICANE RITA DISCUSSION NUMBER 21
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
5 PM EDT THU SEP 22 2005

RITA IS GOING TROUGH THE WEAKENING PHASE OF AN EYEWALL REPLACEMENT
CYCLE AND DATA FROM THE NOAA RECONNAISSANCE PLANE INDICATE THAT
WINDS HAVE DECREASED TO 125 KNOTS...AND THIS MAY BE GENEROUS.
HOWEVER...THE MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE HAS REMAINED AROUND 913
MB...WHICH IS A VERY LOW PRESSURE TO HAVE ONLY 125 KNOTS. IN
ADDITION TO THE EYEWALL REPLACEMENT CYCLE...RITA IS CURRENTLY
MOVING OVER THE EDGE OF A COLD SST EDDY. THIS COULD HAVE ENHANCED
THE WEAKENING TODAY. THE HURRICANE IS FORECAST TO MOVE OVER ANOTHER
WARM EDDY DURING THE NEXT 12 TO 24 HOURS AND THERE IS SOME CHANCE
THAT RITA COULD REGAIN SOME INTENSITY. BECAUSE THE SHEAR IS
FORECAST TO INCREASE...THIS MAY COMPENSATE FOR THE STRENGTHENING
THAT MAY BE CAUSED BY THE EFFECTS OF THE HIGH HEAT CONTENT. THE
BEST OPTION AT THIS TIME IS TO KEEP RITA AS A 125 KT HURRICANE WITH
A SLIGHT WEAKENING BEFORE LANDFALL. THE BOTTOM LINE IS THAT RITA
IS EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL AS A DANGEROUS HURRICANE OF AT LEAST A
CATEGORY THREE INTENSITY.

RITA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST OR 300 DEGREES AT 8 KNOTS.
THE FORECAST TRACK HAS NOT CHANGED AND RITA IS EXPECTED TO BE
STEERED TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST AND NORTHWEST TOWARD THE
UPPER-TEXAS OR THE WESTERN LOUISIANA COASTS AS THE HIGH SHIFTS
EASTWARD. AFTER LANDFALL...STEERING CURRENTS ARE EXPECTED TO WEAKEN
AND THE CYCLONE COULD MEANDER FOR A COUPLE OF DAYS IN THE VICINITY
OF NORTHEASTERN TEXAS...PRODUCING HEAVY RAINS.

BASED ON THE FORECAST TRACK AND WIND RADII...THE TROPICAL STORM
WARNING HAS BEEN EXTENDED EASTWARD AND NORTHWARD ALONG THE
LOUISIANA COAST. ANY TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS IN THE NEW ORLEANS
AREA ARE EXPECTED TO BE CONFINED TO A FEW SQUALLS ASSOCIATED WITH
QUICKLY MOVING RAINBANDS.

This is what http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200518_model.html shows the computers projections for Rita are now.

Looks like she's going to try to cover as much territory as possible. Guess she doesn't want to leave anybody out....

Thumbnail by
Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Vossner, Bob had a plane ticket. But when he called the airline to confirm, they said that Houston was closed and he could use his ticket later after Rita had passed and Houston was open again. He has a wife and two little girls here in Austin so he was not about to sit in NY now. Eventhough it looks like Austin will skate by, wife and children will feel much better when daddy is home.

Kelli, your husband is right. Austin has gotten a bit jiggy and is going a little nuts. We are only suppose to get 3-5 inches of rain and gusts of wind up to 60mph. We've had normal summer thunderstorms worse than that. As far as schools...the only schools that I have seen closed on the news is in Leander (NW suburb of Austin) and they will close early so to make room for evacuees. That is my understanding anyway....

Michelle

DH's friend lives in Round Rock.

This message was edited Sep 22, 2005 2:38 PM

Fountain, FL(Zone 8a)

Praying for all in Rita's path to weather the storm safely. ((HUGS))

Michelle, I'd appreciate you'd letting me know if you hear from Saint. Hope your Bro is okay (or is it bro-in-law?) ... Same thing ... family! Well, I heard on the news that people that worked at the airport walked off their jobs and left the airports in a mess due to evacuations. That caused plane delays. My DH has family in both Houston and Kenner/Alexandra LA. Please pray for them. Thanks. ... Elaine

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Pati & darius...you've been through more of these than most. Does it seem like with the slowing down and eastward movement that it might just really in truly cool down?

Dea

I have a dumb question, but would like to know if Dave loses power in San Antonio will it affect the site? The reason I'm asking is that so far this is one of the ways to keep track of how everyone is faring in TX and LA.
I have all of you in my thoughts and wishing Rita fizzles down to nothing.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

jnana - check out the "News" tab if you click on the Home Page :) Looks like dave's got us "covered" in servers all over the place :)

Dea

Thanks Dea, knowing that puts me at ease now.

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Dea, having gone though 53 years of hurricanes, the only thing I know for sure is that there is no way to tell what the landfall Cat will be. Over the years they have made amazing progress in plotting the course of the storms, so that now you can put a great deal of confidence in their maps and cones. But even Max Mayfield, head of the service, expresses great frustration. All you can do is guess along with them; water temps, depth of water, forward movement of the system, etc, etc., etc. Nobody was expecting hurricane Anderw to roar through as a Cat 5!

All that being said, my uneducated guess is that it will strengthen some tonight while it's still over deep hot water, but as it nears landfall and shallower water it will go in at Cat 4.

How about you, Darius.....any thoughts on this?
Pati

Irving, TX(Zone 8a)

Well I was finally able to get a call from my daughter and grandson in Beaumont and she is trying to head north but still sitting in traffic and low on fuel last time I talked to her. She is trying to get to Jasper as they are thinking maybe that will be far enough from Beaumont/Port Arthur area, but she is so afraid they will be on the freeway when it hits but I sure hope they get all to safety.
My son has gone from Victoria to Tomball and staying there, he had left early and did not have too much traffic to get there.
I am still so worried since I am here and they are there.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Our neighbors from accross the street called from 30 miles up the road and asked us to feed Boo, since he refused to be taken. They left at 3AM and it has taken them 15 hours to go 30 miles. It looks like they are stuck there for the time being. They had planned to go to West Texas. Traffic at this time is more a danger than the weather seems to be. No gas to be had within 200 miles of houston.
We are hunkering.

trois

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

*G* DID i hear my name? Won't be leaving till about 4am Friday morning. I hate traveling with gas but I have about 10 gallons I'm lugging along. Boy the caddy is gonna be a low rider on this trip! I have to be honest with ya, If it stays on it's expected path of Port Arthur etc I won't have a home to come back to. I've gone throught the crying then finding everything funny stage today. I never thought I would have to reduce what was important in my life down to what would fit in a car. People (myself included) always say well just take what you need, but I just can't leave baby book, family photos, 100 year old quilt made by a great great. It's killing me and I'm sobbing right now because I'm having to leave so much of what I have left of Mother behind knowing I might not have it to come home to. It will be like losing her all over again when I can't look at her things and smile with her. Ok enough of the being a baby..

Ewing, KY(Zone 6a)

(((araness))) You are not being a baby. This is your life you are talking about. Hard to think of losing all those things.

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

hugs and tears for you Saint!!!

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

will anyone in the LA MS East Texas area that doesn't have a place to go consider north Mississippi? i believe Yardbird had an offer for animals and peo0ple to stay. son't forget the link at the top of Katrina forum lists offers of housing, i bet those still stand. please have a place to go and a plan to get there when/if you leave!

Lisa i hope you are loaded and leaving already. You and DD have been through enough... give hambone a kiss for me too :-)

sorry if i didn't specifically meniton your name, know i still care and am praying for you. i have been out all day and spent the last 90 minutes cathcing on up this thread, trying not to cry.

be wise, be safe... "hide from the wind, run from the water"

everytime i hear someone say how strong their house is i think of two things:

my mom always says that about a tornado. our house is 12 inch cinderblock with rebar and concrete backfill. but we still go to the basement...

the old. old movie Hurricane. at the end even the old mission church falls to pieces. the only ones spared had tied themselves to the biggest oldest tree, while others thought that was too extreme...

so please, if you seek refuge "tie yourself to a tree" not literally of course, just what i mean is do everything you can think of and them some. do not consider your thoughts of acion to be too extreme, just follow them

;-(
tf

New Iberia, LA(Zone 9a)

Update.. We are leaving tonight or early am.. THis 's the last words you heard from me. But I will keep you posted by email to Gardenwife and let yall know I am ok after Rita pass.

Love yall..

Bye....
Tricia

Benton, KY(Zone 7a)

I've spoke with Lisa today...they're watching things and making prep to leave. I have places for all the critters arranged for up here if she needs to come this far.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Thanks Mel :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.