Drought in the peanut fields.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Late season drought affecting the peanut crop in Georgia. Runner peanuts are used largely for peanut butter.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Farmer,

I haven't raised any peanuts for many years. I do eat crunchy natural peanut butter regularly...and I just ate some dry roasted/unsalted ones a while ago.

Up here we have had timely rains all season....may get more from Rita. We got rain from Dennis and then rain from Katrina.

Also I see you raise melons. My one patch is growing a second growth of watermelons. .........new vines, leaves and melons. Some are ripe and about ripe. Do your melons ever reveive and do this?

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

I have had years, when I got a third crop of watermelons, but such events are rare. Season has to be just right.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Bad news, Fdill. All the rain going elsewhere. And I do love fresh raw peanuts...

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

The fresh raw peanuts are the Virginia type, grown in SE Virginia and Eastern Carolinas. Thier crop is only slightly smaller this year according to the agricultural reports.

Shenandoah Valley, VA(Zone 6b)

Didn't know that! Peanut butter's a staple in this house. Hope the drought isn't doing a job on yr place.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

Doing a pretty good job. No rain for six weeks and daytime temps in the high 90's. Have not been able to get a fall crop started. Peanuts and sweet potatoes are suffering. Even with irrigation could not keep Broccoli alive ( September 1 planting). Have planted turnips twice, should be getting greens and don't even have emerging plants. Hope it cools off some so the kale, Kohlrabi, mustard, and collards will survive.

Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

I was looking at the rainfall for the country as a whole this season and this site has drought data.

http://www.drought.unl.edu/dm/monitor.html

This site has a lot of archive weather data back to 1901.

http://www.noaa.gov/climate.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.