Dogwood Fruit ID

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Hi. I'm collecting Dogwood fruit right now and I've noticed a number of descriptions but mostly on flowers. I'm presuming most of the 1"+ size red strawberry fruit I'm collecting is Cornus kousa. Is there a way to tell cultivars apart in fruit? Are there other species that have that sized fruit. I tasted one today and it was ok.

Illinois, IL(Zone 5b)

Some cultivars and geographic races tend to have larger fruit than others, but I don't think many people could tell you anything reliable just on the basis of fruit size. I suggest you just enjoy them, and maybe plant some of the seeds!

Guy S.

Greensboro, NC

Sometime earlier this year I read on this site that in order to grow Dogwoods from the seeds , on had to put them in peatmoss in the refrigerator for about 180 days and then plant them for another 180 days. Does that sound familiar to anyone ?
Thanks Ed Curran Greensboro, NC

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

Yes, for Cornus kousa it says 40-120 days stratified in the fridge. http://www.nsl.fs.fed.us/wpsm/Cornus.pdf

Greensboro, NC

Thanks growin.
120 days seems better than 180 days. Thanks for the information. I am harvesting the seeds now.
Thanks
Ed Curran

Beautiful, BC(Zone 8b)

I let mine soak overnight in a bowl. Mashed them and then let the water run slowly in the bowl to seperate the pulp from the seed. I can't remember if I used a strainer.

Greensboro, NC

I'll try that way also. It beats peeling each seed pod.
Thanks, Ed Curran

Panama, NY(Zone 5a)

Ed, you can also just plant them out this fall. I've had very good luck with them germinating planted out. Had two that I dropped in a flower bed that had to be moved as they grew a foot over the course of one season.

Linden, VA(Zone 6a)

Ed, I didn't peel mine to get the seeds, just pulled the stem off and squished the seeds out the top. It only took about 5 minutes for a couple of quarts of fruit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.