cobaea scandens

wolverhampton, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Can anyone tell me why only certain flowers on my cobaea produce seed pods. I grew mine from seed last year, left it out through the winter and it is growing like crazy, with loads of flowers and so far I have found 9 seed pods. Any advice or information would be most welcome. My plant is the talk of the street no-one has seen one grow so big before and with seed pods. This photo only shows half of the plant it stretches twice this length and has reached my guttering it also completely circles my window.

Thumbnail by alrac

Welcome to DG! (I'm from Wolverhampton too :)

That's a magnificent Cobea, I don't think I've seen such a healthy one in the UK. I don't really have an answer to your question only some speculation. For what it's worth, Cobea is supposed to be pollinated by bats so if they aren't very prevalent in your area that could answer why theres a lack of pod formation.

Livermore, CA(Zone 9a)

well, that would explain why mine haven't produced any seeds.

Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

alrac, beautiful vine! I'm not certain for sure, but I think mine are making seed pods. The entire blooms haven't fallen off. I'll have to look tomorrow.
:) Donna

Thanks for your replies, there are bats in our area so maybe they are pollinating my flowers. I have included a photo of one of the seed pods to help you when looking for them on your plants they are about the size of a plumb and are quite heavy. They can be quite difficult to spot as they blend in with the foliage. I am hoping these pods will ripen so I can collect the seed. I have been growing these plants for 4 years, planting seed in Mar/Apr but they never seem to mature enough in that same year. I have 3 growing in my back garden but they are quite small with 2 are not yet flowering.

Thumbnail by alrac
Winnipeg, MB(Zone 4a)

Thanks for the pic, alrac. I think I'm in the same boat as you but worse.
:) Donna

(Taylor) Plano, TX(Zone 8a)

Good for you! Gorgeous vine!

... and great pictures!
You should consider adding these images to the PDF...especially the seed pod!
;0)
-T

Hi
I have posted seed pod to PDF. This is a great website, only discovered it last night but I can see that there is lots to read.

Sue

Dundee, OH(Zone 5b)

Wonderful information and great shot of the seedpod, glad you added to database, that will certainly help others who are looking for one on their plant :)

Laurrie

Jackson, SC(Zone 8a)

can these be hand pollinated??

Imzadi you have read my mind, I will give it a try. I have been researching the cobaea and bat pollination comes up over and over again, maybe I will sit in the bedroom above my climber and watch for a while to see if there are any bats around, we often see them circling around in our back garden so they could be doing the same at the front.

Sue

Hi

Today I have been busy with my clean paintbrush collecting pollen from one flower and painting it on to another in the hope of hand pollination, am I doing the right thing? I am not sure which bits of the flower are male and female its been a long time since I did this at school. Anyone any advice.

Thanks
Sue

Thumbnail by alrac

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.