Hurricane RITA - #18 - thread 2

Longboat Key, FL

Dea~

Your photo convinces me we'll have to concentrate on getting one from Greenland. That danged thing wouldn't even get through the Panama Canal.

Look how the lower pressure from Rita has already spooked our pet Twin Dolphins.

:)

This message was edited Sep 20, 2005 4:20 PM

Thumbnail by flyboyFL
Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I've got about a case of bottled water (horse-riding activities always keeps me in a good supply of bottled). I could always fill the bathtub with flushing & boiling water.. not that I could boil it if I needed to.
The PB&J suggestion is a good one.

Longboat Key, FL

P.S.

Fill your tub with water.
Chill down your refrigerator and freezer, while the power lasts.

And, couldn't see whether anyone mentioned toilet paper.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2005 3:35 PM

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Updated - if needed, I have finally found somebody I know (fairly well) that will take me & Allie in. I'll either put the cats in a shelter or leave them secure in the second floor bedroom in the apartment. Friend said "I can come, and dog can come" if needed. She's south-west of Dallas, so while it's not close, at least it's better than flying to PA (which was my first thought).

If it's mild, and evacs aren't suggested, at least now I know what to shop for.. thank you!

I am not going to Panic.. I am not going to panic.. I am not going to panic....

Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

here's another food suggestion, canned spagetti-Os! just try to get stuff with a PULL TOP LID!

AngelSong, don't know how close you are to Galveston, but i read that they will be keeping the RC shelter open there. And evacuee buses are allowing pets in cages. So buy some pet carriers or metal cages if you don't already have them. And stop at petsmart or somewhere and use the automated machine for ID tags for their collars and cages!

wish you could come here, that might be too far to drive LOL

talked to Saint, they have found a town near Austin where they think they can get a room for Friday night. They don't plant to leve till Friday, then dRIVE. i asked her to watch the traffic!

Anyone know where to buy water purifying tablets? that was on drdon's ER kit list...

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Washing machines hold a fair amount of water, too, and have a built-in cover. ;) Gotta keep water in mind for the pets in addition to yourself, and include their dishes if you need to leave town.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Here's my bad weather map, focused on the mid Texas coast this time. As always, the thumbtacks are just marking the cities where DGers live. These maps don't use full addresses, just the city and state that shows up under your name when you post. So the thumbtacks are showing those cities' post offices, not the actual homes of anyone involved. The Houston thumbtack alone stands for 40 DGers!

Maybe we came home from vacation a little too soon after all...

Thumbnail by Marylyn_TX
Fritch, TX(Zone 6b)

Academy Sports has neat little camping cookstoves...

Spokane Valley, WA(Zone 5b)

Lots of great minds at work here! :) Water purifying tablets are available at sporting good stores (like REI and maybe even Academy); backpackers like to carry them for emergency use.

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Marylyn - need to update that map ... my thumb-tack for Victoria (77904) ain't on there...

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

Another disadvantage for small-towns here - no "big" stores to speak of. Little mall, small walmart, small grocery stores...
And I ain't driving to Houston to buy supplies.. Prolly be harder to get stuff there than here.
If I stop after work (after the first wave of PPL hit the grocery store) I might be able to get some snack-stuff & more water. Stores are running out of stuff here, and they're saying "the second shipment is on the way".

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I'm looking at map of Texas, [biggg place] lol - and Victoria doesn't look so close -- is it that those bays will funnel the water like what happened to Mississipi? wiped out half the state. or will Matagorda Island take care of that? Any Texans out there?

Is Angel only apt to loose power due to wind/power damage or is she closer to the ocean than it looks? I make it she's a hundred miles inland. Unlike Galveston which sits there with its chin out. Does she really need to run? Or just stock up ?

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Don't for heaven's sake go to Houston, they're apt to really get smacked

Might's well go to Austin. It's a nice little town/city. and only a smidgen farther than Houston. shoot it's only 60 miles up to I-10 with a nice cut off to Austin.

But then I go a hundred mile one-way trip to get to anything that isn't local and small. Works for me. Like small towns and don't mind driving.

This message was edited Sep 20, 2005 2:20 PM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yeah, I was noticing that, Angel. Sorry about missing you! I'll make sure you are on the spreadsheet that the map uses. I'll bet it asked me which Victoria and I guessed the wrong one. oops...

~ Marylyn

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Also Jennifer, make sure there's propane in your grill if you have a gas model or get charcoal, etc. for a regular grill and make sure you have plenty of matches. Use it to boil your water if need be if you're staying.

flyboy - funny photo :)

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Marylyn, do you know that part of Texas? I'm sure Trois is busy getting ready to bail he's tucked right behind that Galveston chin. LOL

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

I thought those were those sea cows I hear about.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

LOL Blooms :)

Longboat Key, FL

Neh:

They're TWINS -- dolphins.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Blooms, yep, Angel is about 27 miles from Port Lavaca which is a big port with lots of water. She is about 175 miles from Galveston. She may only need to hunker down as will peeps in Houston. That is unless this sucker becomes a cat 5. The good thing is that Victoria is not built below sea level. She'll get some good wind and rain...yes, I know, you guys are like...what does she know, she is safely in central TX. Well yes, I used to live in Houston for years and years. Also, seems that natural disasters follow me around.

Flyboy, that one looks like a Texas dolphin.

Angel, do you like beef jerky? Btw, if you need a place that is closer than Dallas, feel free to dmail me and I know we can set you up here with all your animals in Austin. It is about a 2 hour drive from Houston. I-10N, cut across at Columbus to 290 and hit 183..and your are here. Let me know.

Tamara, glad you got in touch w/Saint. If something happens with the hotel, she needs to call me.

Michelle

This message was edited Sep 20, 2005 3:34 PM

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Merge onto I-10 W / US-90 W. 5.7 miles Map
5: Merge onto I-610 N via EXIT 763. 1.3 miles Map
6: Merge onto US-290 W via EXIT 13B on the LEFT toward AUSTIN. 66.9 miles Map
7: Merge onto US-290 W toward AUSTIN.

Angel, here are the directions to austin from houston. It is a total of 158 miles from Houston to my doorstep. seriously, let me know and I have lots of friends (believe it or not) that will take you and all your pets. My DH is deathly allergic to cats unfortunately b/c I love the little buggers...but have other folks that can help.

Michelle

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

YIKES I forgot the can opener! *ROFLMBO* I had put in paper plates, cups, plastic forks, tongs for the grill big metal spoon etc I guess I figured we could knaw (sp) them open. As far as the pouches of chicken etc our Wal-Mart was out by 9:30 or so..Just got done packing it up in a big tub so that's done...now to move ahead to making sure my address book is updated with Insurance numbers, neighbors (since we will be away) DG's, Doctors, the baby's chip number etc. My control Journal (it's a flylady thing) is a little large so I'm going to try and put all the needed info in a smaller addy book. Cleaned out the plastic Iam's container and filled it with fresh food and the baby's travel bowl as well as her baby carry all (one of those things you can carry a baby in without using hands) extra leash and Mr. Bunny & Mr. Bone. Only problem is now she won't leave the bag with her stuff in it as she thinks we are going bye bye today.

Auburn, AL(Zone 8a)

Chelle won't call today since I'm running nuts but I'll give you a call in the morning...

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

She doesn't hafta go to Houston first she can go north on either 87 or 77 and hit I-10 well east of Houston. i'm trying to be funny here. wouldn't you love me as a navigator??

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I'm one of the 40 or so people represented by the Houston thumbtack. We haven't had a hurricane hit directly in the 7 years I've lived here, but I've seen a few tropical storms. They were scary enough! I'm not looking forward to this one. :-/

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Blooms...duh, you are right. I have no sense of direction I tell ya!
Coming from Victoria to North Austin:

Start out going SOUTH on N MAIN ST toward E NORTH ST. <0.1 miles Map
2: Turn RIGHT onto W NORTH ST. <0.1 miles Map
3: Turn RIGHT onto N BRIDGE ST. <0.1 miles Map
4: Turn RIGHT onto W RIO GRANDE ST / US-59 BR / US-77. <0.1 miles Map
5: Turn LEFT onto US-87 / N MAIN ST. Continue to follow US-87 N. 27.7 miles Map
6: Turn RIGHT onto US-183 / US-77 ALT / N ESPLANADE ST. Continue to follow US-183 N. 50.2 miles Map
7: Turn RIGHT onto US-183 / TX-80 / S MAGNOLIA AVE. Continue to follow US-183 N. 40.0 miles Map
8: Merge onto AIRPORT BLVD / TX-111 LOOP N toward TX-343-LOOP / 1ST - 5TH - 7TH STS. 4.0 miles Map
9: Take the ramp toward US-290 E / I-35 N. 0.1 miles Map
10: Turn SLIGHT RIGHT onto I-35 N. 0.2 miles Map
11: Merge onto I-35 N / US-81 N. 7.1 miles Map
12: Take EXIT 245 toward FM-734 / PARMER LN. 0.1 miles Map
13: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto I-35 N. 0.3 miles Map
14: Turn LEFT onto W PARMER LN / FM 734 W / PARMER LN W.

Seems more complicated.

Saint, I wanna know how your back is doing. I figured you were crazy busy today! Call me whenever you can.

michelle

This message was edited Sep 20, 2005 3:58 PM

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

CNN just announced the National Hurricane Center has said Rita will be a Cat 4 by 2 pm tomorrow (Wednesday)

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Well I've tried to copy and paste directions directly from Victoria to North Austin and it looks fine on the preview, but then doesn't make it to the thread. weird.

Saint...you guys be careful!! Contact me if you need anything. okay?

Michelle

Hey Saint ... you got that problem, too? LOL I can never pack my baby's stuff ahead of time. She walks around crying whenever I get the suitcases down. As it is ... she paces when I put my shoes on! She's ready for the harness. LOL

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

CAT 4 way out there? do they have a number above 5?

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Has the path changed with that announcement?

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

Nope. Dea, it is still a path from West Louisiana to the very north of Mexico.

Blooms: Cat 5 is the top

Category Two Hurricane: Winds 96-110 mph
Category Three Hurricane: Winds 111-130 mph, Storm surge generally 9-12 ft
Category Four Hurricane: Winds 131-155 mph, Storm surge generally 13-18 ft
Category Five Hurricane: Winds greater than 155 mph, Storm surge generally greater than 18 ft

Frederick, MD(Zone 6a)

Mandatory evacuation just announced for Galveston :(

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Good thing they announced it early; there are only a couple of roads off of Galveston (well, one road and a ferry or two) and I'd sure hate to be stuck in the traffic trying to get off of the island at the very last minute!

This message was edited Sep 20, 2005 4:17 PM

Baytown, TX(Zone 9b)

Marylyn my zip is 77580 which is 13 miles past baytown right off I-10 a few miles. We live almost right where the bay comes in the farthest.

I am not going to Panic.. I am not going to panic.. I am not going to panic.... Too late.

Don't have anywhere to go just out of here....

This message was edited Sep 20, 2005 4:22 PM

Sandy, what county are you in? Am trying to keep up with everyone. Am praying for you. Stay safe! ... Elaine

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I have this thread watched and am concerned and prayerful for the safety of you and your loved ones, both two and four-footed.

Where's Lisa? (JustMeLisa)

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

She's still in Thibodaux, near Houma.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.