self watering pots

Paducah, KY

I now have 4 new AVs. I bought the self watering pots. Does any one use them instead of the wicks, and do you like them? I am new to this.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Congrats on your new acquisitions!

Let me point you to a previous thread, http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/468389/

Additional questions? Ask away!

Paducah, KY

Thanks for the link! Am very excited about my new plants. Also I saw today where a local mall is having an AV show this weekend. This seems to be addictive.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Woohooo! Looks like another one has been bitten by the bug, so to speak. AVs are definitely addictive, LOL! Maybe there should be a warning at the top of the forum page... :-)

I wonder if the exhibitors at the show will be offering leaves for sale... Check out the culture pages at robsviolet.com. You'll be amazed at how easily AVs can be started from a leaf, and I hope you'll give it a try! We do trade leaves & plantlets with one another in this forum, which adds to the fun.

When you get a chance, please post pictures of your new beauties!

Paducah, KY

I just finished helping my hubby install the new gro lite. I mixed potting soil and perlite. Repotted the beauties. They were standing in water at Lowes. The old dirt was smelly like it was soured. Very mushy. VERY smelly. Got them in the self watering pots. I don't even know what one color is, but I felt sorry for it. Fed a very diluted miracle gro soultion. If I missed a step, somebody please tell me. Will check out robsviolets.com, and read on AVs till late, I'm sure. Love this site! I will post pics when they perk up some. Thanks for chatting! I feel an obsession coming on!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"I feel an obsession coming on"

You go, girl!!

Boyoboy... new soil, new grow lite... these AV's are just livin' the life at your house!

Repotting sounds like a very good idea, especially with the way the dirt had soured. Rot can be a problem with overly-wet AVs. I'm not encouraged by your description of their condition. I think you may be able to save them, but if not I don't want you to give up on AVs because your first ones were treated badly by the store. I'm assuming you got as much of the smelly potting mix off them as possible, and that you trimmed away any mushy looking roots. Although they may ultimately enjoy the self watering pots, I would just barely moisten the soil for now, and then let them dry out & recover for a week or so.

I'm glad you're enjoying Rob's Violet Barn. The information there is excellent, and the step by step pics were very helpful to me!

Good luck, and keep us posted on how your new beauties fare!

Silver Spring, MD

Wish I could help you with the pots. Not familiar with them at all. Good luck. Let us know how everything works out.

Nanna

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Doghouse...
I have...uh....lets just say a COUPLE violets....and I've got some in regular pots and some in "self watering" pots. The self waterers are really nice as they cut down on watering time and provide a little more consistant watering. The only problem I've had is with A FEW of the little "micro-min" or leaf-starter sized pots ~ for whatever reason, I have found they keep the soil too moist and I've had to remove violets from them before they died. Other than that, I love the self waterers.
I've found them at WalMart and if you really wanna get fancy, check eBay. I've seen some of those pots go for $60!! There are also pastic ones called "Dancy Pots" which work great.
Give one a try, compare it to 'regular' pots and see what you think.
Betsy

Paducah, KY

My rescued AVs look considerably happier this AM. Went to robsviolets and may have to place an order today. It is SOOO hard to hold back and learn a little and NOT buy everthing I want immediately. Thanks for the advice!

Silver Spring, MD

I know exactly what you mean. Space was the key factor that (at the moment) is keeping me under control.

Nanna

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Not that I want to give you "option anxiety," but also check out http://www.violetgallery.com/index.html

A friend of mine brought back a couple of lovely AVs for me from there!

Also, you might take a look at http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/507431/ to see the order I placed with Rob's in May. What fun! I've got some tiny plantlets of some of my new ones already, and I should have most available by spring (hopefully plantlets, otherwise leaves), so if you've been considering any of the ones I chose, you might think about picking another variety if you're willing to wait...

Paducah, KY

Are any of the varieties more hardy than others? Suggestions on what to look for at the AV show I will attend this weekend? Of course, critterologist, I will be WILD for a new spring batch.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

LOL!

Rob's does a good job with their descriptions... look for words like "everblooming" or "hardly stops blooming for us" etc. I've been getting "into" those with variegated leaves, since they look so lovely even when they're not in bloom. I've also started focusing on miniature varieties, in an effort not to run out of room. :-) Really, it's a question of picking the ones you like... and then narrowing the list several times when you realize you just can't order 72 violets all at once! haha!

I'm glad you're having fun with your new interest in AVs. Sure wish I could go to that show with you this weekend! If you have a digital camera, please take it so you can posts pics of your favorites from the show...

Paducah, KY

I will take pics of the of the show. The selection is awfully slim in the local stores. Just home Depot and Lowes that I've found so far. The area in the house that I have alotted myself is about 35" square. I never thought I would spin out of control like this. Will probably come home with my truck FULL. I would love to have a knowledgeable companion to go with me. Maybe I can stalk people at the show to see if they are local! :)

Paducah, KY

My AVs are going to make it! (i think) The little guys dried out nicely, and are now sitting happily in my self watering pots. What a difference a couple of days and a little attention will make. Will post pics of this weekends AV show and my new AVs!

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Doghouse:
I am ENVIOUS of you that you get to attend the AV show in Paducah....I know exactly which one you are talking about! I gave some serious consideration to driving the 3-4 hours south to attend it myself.....but turns out our Homecoming is this weekend and my 3 high schoolers are all going! Soooo, Mom is going to stay home and take pictures of her beautiful girls. I have never attended one of those shows but would love to......although I'm like you and would probably need to drive away with a U-Haul behind my car! LOL
As Critterologist said, though - - lots of different types of AV's....Large standard ones (that take up quite a bit of room as their leaf span is BIG), regular standard size (not quite as big), Semi-minis, and minis...and trailers. If the bug has bitten you, you will soon run out of your alotted space. LOL. Check the threads on lighted plant stands when you reach that point! But if you truly are limited to space, consider the smaller varieties.
Betsy

Paducah, KY

I wish you were going, Betsy! I have a notion that I will have one of every kind soon. Doing the research has been really interesting. I had no idea there were soooo many kinds to choose from! I am most interested in the ones with the with the green/white leaves. (i forget what they are called) How does this happen to a person? I adore my orchids, but they are almost through blooming for now. I get excited about anything that blooms. My hibiscus are on the way out, too. :( I seems that once you get a bloom in the house, you CANNOT do without them! Send pics of your beautiful girls, and i will post AV pics!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"I have a notion that I will have one of every kind soon."

No, you won't! ROTFL! But you'll have LOTS of fun trying!! Wheeeeeee!

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

I am jealous that you're going to the show, too! :) I'm already planning to attend the AVSA (AV society of America, I think) National Show when it comes to Denver in, get ready for this... 2007! LOL!

If you want a leaf from a variegated... I have one my grandma gave me called "Broken Arrow". I haven't been able to find info on it anywhere, but my grandma is an avid grower and she said it's a pretty rare one... I'll attach a pic here. :) The pic is a little old... it's a bit bigger now, and getting ready to bloom (I've been peeking under its' skirt, ok, its' leaves and found a little bud growing :).

Also, Critter... I wish I had known you wanted minis... I just got a mini from my local King Sooper's/Kroger for $1.25!! Actually a 2fer, as there are 2 separate plants in the pot. WOO HOO! :) I guess I'll have to start some babies (after I get it repotted), and send a plantlet with your next "order" lol :).

Anyway, Doghouse... if you decide you want to "branch out" into other gesneriads (eventually), let me know I have a few, and my grandma has a billion! :) She did really well at the show their group (3G's = Gloxinia Gesneriad Growers) had last weekend. She won the "sweepstakes" which means that overall she won the most ribbons! :) She got... best gesneriad species, best chirita, best epscia, and many others... 10 or so in total I think. She's very good, and very willing to share her immense collection! I'm buying her a subscription to Dave's for Christmas, so hopefully her worry about wasting my money will override her fear of the computer! :)

Sarah

Thumbnail by sarahjo80
Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

"hopefully her worry about wasting my money will override her fear of the computer!"

LOL! I love your logic, Sarah. Hope it works -- it would be grand to get her input here! Please pass along my heartfelt congratulations to her on her sweepstakes win. That's a lot of ribbons!

If you take any leaves from 'Broken Arrow' to start, remember that leaves with the most green have the best chance of survival (offspring will still be fully variegated). I'm sure I'm just repeating something you already know, but I didn't want to chance either you or doghouse being disappointed.

Has 'Broken Arrow' bloomed yet?

Olympia, WA(Zone 7b)

Ooh, what fun, doghouse! We sure all have fun with the AVs, and I've been trying for a month to narrow down the list of AVs to order from Violet Barn. :) It's a lot of fun to trade leaves with fellow DGers, too. You've come to the right place. And I sure hope a show comes to my neck of the woods some day, although it could be dangerous. Heehee.

--Dana

Paducah, KY

Sarahjo: Thanks for the offer...I would love to have a piece of that beauty! I don't really know "AV etiquette"....But tell me what to do to get it here. I have nothing to trade, maybe a dog or something, but I will gladly follow any directions you give me! OH, congrats on your Grandmother's success. She sounds like a super lady! I may need advice on how to nurture these little treasures, if my research fails me. Thanks to everyone that has replied to my thread. I was hoping for a single reply. I have never in my life met such helpful people.

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Well, like I said, I haven't even tried to propagate it yet, so the first lesson in "AV etiquette" is: patience, please :) haha It'll take me awhile to get plantlets up and going.

Critter, no not bloomed yet, I just found the bud under a leaf thus far... it's not even out from under the leaf yet! :) I'm just jumping the gun giving it a thorough examination. :) Should I wait to take a leaf until after it blooms, or can I take it now without too much upset?

OOH Wait!! Duh! :) I'm such a dork! I should just have my grandma bring one the next time she comes up from Denver (or vice versa)... that'll get you a mature plant much faster! :) I'm such a dork... That's what I'll plan on doing! :) So, doghouse, I'll Dmail you when we are going to be seeing her, then you'll know you can be expecting it soon. Some people swap plants, or send postage $ via paypal, etc. But I prefer to just send "presents" because then I have the anticipation of getting a "present" back sometime! :) LOL Or not, really the important thing to me is that we feel like friends, and not drug dealers! haha :)

Sarah

Paducah, KY

Thaks you so much Sarah! I have something to look forward to! Like I said, everyone has been so very nice. I wish is had signed up for this site years ago. I have to go out of town today and am missing the 1st day of the AV show. BUT. I will be there bright and early tomorrow AM with a camera. Maybe I can post a pic or two Sunday.

Mt Zion, IL(Zone 5b)

Dana~
Dmail me as to which ones you're looking at on Rob's site.
I have a couple spare ones I could part with. [Molly, I won't give yours away, I promise!) LOL
Betsy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.