Mandivella trumpet vine?

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

I just bought a trumpet vine of some sort that has pink trumpet flowers, its beautiful and I think he said its a Mandivilla vine. Its beautiful. Does this sound familliar and if so how do I keep it over the winter?
I passed the place and then my jeep turned on its own into the parking lot as I came back from the groccery store.Darn Jeep, now where do I put the vine? And the minature rose bush. Hum

Lavina

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

Yes, you can keep them indoors for the winter.
But here's the rub:
They grow year round. If it's warm at all where they are, they will send out new shoots like crazy, so they *must* have lots of light if they're warm, otherwise they can deteriorate and fade away, dropping foliage off they new growth. Reme,ber that outdoors they love lots of sun.....

I kept one huge multi-stemmed plant for a couple years before I got completely over that, and I kept it in two places: one warm with bad light and one cooler with worse light. My plant survived both.

Initially there were lots of leaves dropped as a reaction to the lower humidity and light--normal reaction. But I couldn't keep it cool enough to induce dormancy, so in both areas, it sprouted new growth which was, of course, weak. I had to keep it watered, so that spurred the growth even more. I noticed that when I kept it very dry, the stems began to wither and die. I didn't mist the stems or anything though.

When I put it out in spring, I cut away the weak growth and shaped my plant and it came back gloriously! I had masses of blooms in no time.

But I tired of the mess and space I had to use for a 20' pot. I stopped taking it in and the cold got it.

Another big warning: Be *sure* to use a good insecticide to kill off insects, especially aphids and spider mites and the eggs of both as these can go crazy indoors. You have to keep checking up for signs of varmints.

Good luck!
raydio.

Grantsboro, NC(Zone 8b)

Thanks for info. Does it have seeds or can it be water rooted and replanted?
Lavina

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

I never had any seeds form, but I'm certain they can produce them under the right conditions, being that there are hybrid strains on the market.
Never tried to root them, but I think you might have good results from layering and/or cuttings in medium, bottom-heated if not done in a warm climate in summer. Do softwood cutting in spring and semi-ripe ones in summer.
Robert.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.